What big mistakes did the government make

Economy

Yes we all want good services, but the biggest problem is the wastage of resources and provision of totally unnecessary services. This is where you make the savings, not by cutting the pay of the most essential public employees like guards, nurses, teachers.

You beat me to it. I haven't got the figures for Europe, but it would be interesting if someone could show the stats for taxation/GNP and Budget/GNP.

The big mistake they made is contesting the 2007 election. They should have all done a runner into the sunset with their large pensions

I'll throw up something I feel the Government got wrong big time.

The M50 upgrades were essential but adding a third lane was a complete waste of money and is hardly ever used.

The total cost was roughly €1bn and involved adding a third lane to the 34km stretch of motorway and in some parts a 4th seperate lane for motorists wishing to enter at one junction and exit at the next without needing to use the main motorway itself. 10 junctions along the way were also upgraded which was vital especially at the N7, N4 and N3 junctions and the removal of the toll bridge.

However, from driving the M50 everyday I notice the amount of motorists and alot of them who would be deemed as professionals (truckers etc) ignorantly sitting in the middle lane (lane 2) with the outside lane (lane 1 or the new lane) completely empty.

The upgrades to the junctions to allow them be free flowing and the removal of the toll bridge would have been enough. There was no need at all to add a third lane and this to me is a total waste of taxpayers money.

The €35 billion mistake was including Anglo in the unlimited guarantee.

The bankers either lied to the Govt or were grossly incompetent on that night. The Govt and their advisers in Dept Finance and Central Bank were grossly incompetent.

They could have either put a limited guarantee in place for Anglo, or excluded them completely. To write a blank cheque was sheer madness, and naturally has led to conspiracy theories as to the reasons for including them in the guarantee.

In 2009 a man who is paid almost quarter of a million Euro per annum, has free world travel including access to a private jet, has a free limousine and two drivers, has huge tax free expenses, and has special income tax allowances;; reduced the allowance paid to disabled people by 7 Euro per week.
Republic of Ireland, we have the government, I wish we had the climate.