What are we watching on TV?

Yeah I guess, just like the "Ireland" rugby team that competes in the 6 Nations etc isn't a country.

And the Welsh and Scottish and English ones...and the English and Welsh and Scottish and Northern Irish ones that complete in soccer.
Of all the teams above that compete in rugby or soccer competitions the only one that represents a sovereign state is the Republic of Ireland soccer team.
Then again, who cares? The less all that nationalism rubbish matters the better.

...Of all the teams above that compete in rugby or soccer competitions the only one that represents a sovereign state is the Republic of Ireland soccer team. ...
So what?

... The less all that nationalism rubbish matters the better.
In the context of the commonwealth games it seems to have got you and others exercised.

Back to my original point - well done to the Northern Ireland boxing team that got 7 of 9 representatives to the medal stages. A great achievement

What has any of this got to do what people are watching tv? ...
Coz it's like on TV, not RTE necessarily but BBC1,2 & 3. Oh and the Northern Ireland boxers are doing very well in the competition. 7 out of 9 boxers through to the medal stages. And it's on the telly. Did I mention that?

Coz it's like on TV, not RTE necessarily but BBC1,2 & 3. Oh and the Northern Ireland boxers are doing very well in the competition. 7 out of 9 boxers through to the medal stages. And it's on the telly. Did I mention that?

What has congratulating the Northern Ireland boxing team got to do with anything about what people are watching on TV?

If you are right, can I just say congratulations to all the horses that won at the Galway Races. Great achievement and they should be very proud.

And by the way, the boxers did great but ask them directly where a commonwealth medal ranks in their list of achievements. It is behind European, world and Olympic medals because they know the level of competition.

What has congratulating the Northern Ireland boxing team got to do with anything about what people are watching on TV? ...
I'm watching the commonwealth games boxing on TV and I'm a person and a poster. Congratulating the NI boxers is akin to someone else commenting on a good TV show or series or other sports event., for example, "Great hurling match on the telly last Sunday, congratulations to Tipperary hurlers on a fine display."
... If you are right, can I just say congratulations to all the horses that won at the Galway Races. Great achievement and they should be very proud. ...
That would normally happen by logically grouping the horses by owner, trainer or jockey. e.g. "Congratulations to the Dessie Hughes stable who turned out 7 winning horses out of 9 entrants at the Galway races."
... And by the way, the boxers did great but ask them directly where a commonwealth medal ranks in their list of achievements. It is behind European, world and Olympic medals because they know the level of competition.
A boxer can only compete against whoever is in the ring with them. A lot of the boxers competing at the Commonwealth games are national, continental, inter-continental or Olympic medallists and boxers can only improve by competing against the best their sport has to offer.

But improvement is not just about the technical aspects of the sport itself. It's about being away from home and the tensions and stresses associated with big crowds, noise, excitement etc - just like for your horses at race-meetings.

Naturally, there is no question about me being wrong here :).

So what?

In the context of the commonwealth games it seems to have got you and others exercised.

Back to my original point - well done to the Northern Ireland boxing team that got 7 of 9 representatives to the medal stages. A great achievement

You are getting the wrong end of stick here. I am not bothered about what flags people salute or any of that stuff. It's great to see boxers from this Island doing well. I was adding to the point that sports teams don't always represent sovereign states and it's not just an Irish thing. The team from this island that does represent a sovereign state is probably the lowest ranking of them all!

... Naturally, there is no question about me being wrong here :).
Aaarrgghh! I made a mistake! There are nine (9 !!) Norn Ir'n boxers through to the medal stages. I just caught one of the NI women winning over her Indian opponent before the lunch-time telly news. She'll be facing the English Olympic champion in the final bout.
... The team from this island that does represent a sovereign state is probably the lowest ranking of them all!
Untrue. Based on population size and participation in the sport, we are one of the most successful amateur boxing nations in the world. That's the reason for the investment on the all-island high performance training for boxers already mentioned.

Untrue. Based on population size and participation in the sport, we are one of the most successful amateur boxing nations in the world. That's the reason for the investment on the all-island high performance training for boxers already mentioned.
eh?
I was talking about association football (soccer ball, soccer or just football).
I'm all for all island sporting bodies and teams. There's enough the divides us without sport being another.

eh?
I was talking about association football (soccer ball, soccer or just football).
I'm all for all island sporting bodies and teams. There's enough the divides us without sport being another.
Apologies for not making the association.

Slap. An Australian drama that runs over 8 episodes. Interesting enough so far after watching two episodes.

Finished watching House of Cards Season II on Netflix at the weekend.

Very good, Kevin Spacey is great when he has the right material.

Brought Breaking Bad on holidays with us as I hoped we'd have a bit more time to watch and had heard from so many people how good it was.

And....meh! Watched two episodes before we gave up.

The only things I'm watching on TV now ( and when I say watching, actually I mean I'm taping on Sky + and watching sporadically) are Gardeners World and the Great British Bake-off, I am the classic definition of middle-aged.:(

Back