Westport Woods Hotel, Co Mayo

Jason_77

Hi All,

Have any of you stayed in the WestportWoods Hotel in Mayo?
If so, what is the hotel like?
Is it far out of town and what is the service like?

All comments appreciated.

Re: Westport Woods Hotel

Jason_77 said:
Hi All,

Stayed there last year. If you have a large brood of older kids (5+) , then it's not so bad, as there are plenty of kids club activities.

For a relaxing quiet break for two, it's not great.
Bar is poor, and it's a bit outside of town as well

Stayed there last year. Its not great, the food is terrible, I had better food back in my college days from the college canteen. Actually we complained about it and got a 100 euro voucher, but never went back....

I wouldnt recommend it.

Any other options in Westport

Thanks for your feedback.

Would any of you recommend anywhere else to stay in Westport for a relaxing weekend?

Thanks.

Hotel Westport is supposed to be good, havnt stayed there though but its been recommended to me a few times.

I've stayed in The Castlecourt while on business a few times and found it good.

It's centrally located, which is a help. The Westport Woods is a bit of a walk from the Diamond.

We spent 4 days in the Westport Woods (without kids) in 2003 and found its facilities and food to be excellent, so much so that we extended our stay by one night.

Do you really need a hotel? There are plenty of self-catering apartments in Wesport which offer great flexibility. You'll have your own kitchen for breakfast and plenty of cafes & restaurants for main meals.

Stayed in the Harbour Mill in Westport (just outside the town). We paid €260 for 3 nights. The place was fantastic! We had our own kitchen/dining room, living room with fire, balcony, 2 double bedrooms 1 with ensuite and a main bathroom. These were the penthouse apts, the others may be cheaper. I've heard they are doin good deals at the moment. Check out their site: http://www.theharbourmill.com or http://www.pigsback.com advertise good deals for here also...

RainyDay,

We are looking for a nice relaxing weekend, so I think the hotel option is the way to go, especially as most of them have leisure facilities.

breaffy house has a terrible reputation for years especially poor food.
Hotel westport and knockranny or castlecourt best in westport.

Jason_77 said:
RainyDay,

We are looking for a nice relaxing weekend, so I think the hotel option is the way to go, especially as most of them have leisure facilities.
It's entirely up to you of course, but Harbour Mill apartments in Westport have access to a neighbouring swimming pool, and the beauty salon down below offers massage treatments. Personally, I find the flexibility of getting your own breakfast & having your own cup of tea/fridge more relaxing than a hotel room.

markowitzman said:
breaffy house has a terrible reputation for years especially poor food.
Hotel westport and knockranny or castlecourt best in westport.

We stayed there in May of last year. The hotel had recently been refubished to a very high standard, food was excellent, rooms large and comfortable. Nice grounds for a walk, and the spa was second to none. I would definitely recommend it to anybody, though it is a little out of town.

trip advisor has a poor review of Breaffy house and the Castlebar.ie web site covered it recently some poor reports also, staff with poor English and breakfast very poor but the spa got a great report

Jason_77 said:
Hi All,

I stayed there in September last year with a large group for a weekend. Wouldn't recommend it for food. A few years ago Mr Mul and I stayed in the Hotel Westport a week at a time a few years in a row. It's the biz. The food was superb and it is within walking distance of the middle of town. Westport is a great town to go to and there are other restaurants to eat in for a bit of variety if you don't book full board. The Lemon Tree restaurant is the best but need to be booked in advance.

Hi All,

Westport Woods has just completed a renovation of all of its bedrooms, new Bench Cafe Bar and Ceder Spa. Great value weekends in September from Euro 159 per person sharing, two nights B&B plus a dinner

Westport Woods Hotel has completed the Failte Ireland Optimus Best Practice Service Excellence program which helps give great value and service to its punters, it is situated between the Quay of Westport 5 minutes walk away and the town centre of Westport about 10 minutes walk away.