Westport self catering

Happy_Harry

Looking to go back to Westport for a weekend (next weekend - 28/2/-02/3) with a mate, hoping to do some walking and sampling some of the really nice pubs. Looking at self catering ( preferred so we can have our own room - snoring), looking online at the different options - you get the same 3 or 4 establishments on all the major booking sites. Was wondering if there would be some more private self catering options available ? Just so I can make a better informed decision, am also slightly shocked that some of the owners don't even bother replying to emails.

Another thing, as the weather doesn't look to be brilliant next weekend with rain and wind, would there be a problem walking/climbing Croagh Patrick ? How long would it take ?

Do you particularly need to be in Westport town or would you consider Westport Quay about 5 minutes drive away? Westport Quay has a few pubs and restaurants but you can get a taxi into the town for about €6.

I stayed here http://www.theharbourmill.com/ for a couple of nights last autumn and thought it was very nice. Big kitchen / dining / living area with leather sofas upstairs, 2 bedrooms downstairs, 1 ensuite & there is another bathroom so you and your mate can have a bathroom each as well as your own bedroom. Place also has a small leisure area with jacuzzi, sauna and steam room. Sorry can't remember what we paid but it was very reasonable. There was secure parking as well.

I agree with TreeTiger, Westport Quay is a great spot. Still very close to the town but also on the road out to Croagh Patrick and Leenaune. I know the Harbour Mill Apts but havent statyed there. They are in a great spot and look lovely. A few times I have have stayed in a self catering part of a B&B called Clew Bay View (Nora O Malley proprieter-no connection). Its a little further out but still within walking distance. Has 2 bedrooms-both ensuite, little kitchen and a sitting room. No Hilton but very comfortable and very reasonable. Huge beakfast dropped into the kitchen every morning (Separate door to sitting room which is locked so its secure).
I'm ashamed to say that I have never been up Croagh Patrick despite planning to so many times. I would imagine though that its a risky time of year to be climbing it.

Thanks for that. Harbour mills got very mixed reviews, not that important though as we're only using it as a base, but for the money (312 for 3 nights- 3rd being "free") you'd expect better reviews ( or should you ?). Googling Clew Bay View B&B gives no relevant results, do you know if there is a website ?

Also, the weather looks to be very unsettling over the weekend and I know my mate will push to climb Croagh Patrick whatever the conditions( he's an experienced climber, I am the opposite) and I would need to come up with some alternative daytime activities around ( 50 km radius or so) Westport, any suggestions?

Another thing, as the weather doesn't look to be brilliant next weekend with rain and wind, would there be a problem walking/climbing Croagh Patrick ? How long would it take ?

Not ideal conditions for climbing it... plus not much to see from the top on a cloudy day. The view at the top is what makes it worthwhile - unless you're religious and are into it for the penance - so I wouldn't bother climbing it if it wasn't a clear day.

The last time I climbed it I was up and down in just over 3.5 hours...

I would need to come up with some alternative daytime activities around ( 50 km radius or so) Westport, any suggestions?

The drive from Westport via Murrisk / Louisburgh and out to Leenane is very nice. Spectacular scenery around Killary Harbour and Doo Lough pass. Boat trips around Killary depart from Leenane and are a nice way to spend a few hours.

You can then return to Westport via the N59..

Alternatively heading out to Achill will also guarantee spectacular scenery..

Thanks Gianni, was on Achill with the same mate a couple of years back, so will skip this year. Might go out to Leenane and see if it feels right to take a boat ride..

Back