Wedding deposit - no refund

bluetoff

A wedding was booked with a particular hotel for this coming August,wedding was cancelled almost a year ago, we were informed they could not give us a cash refund but could give us a voucher to the value of the deposit for the hotel, fair enough we thought, rang today enquiring where the voucher was as its almost been 12 months, we were told that the girl we dealt with has since left and nothing was signed by either party so we are entitled to nothing. Surely this is wrong, do I have any rights here,we have the initial receipt from the deposit and a bank record as we paid by cheque.

Re: Wedding Deposit. No refund

Does the receipt state your rights regarding refund? If you have nothing in writing about the vouchers in lieu of the deposit, I would think you won't see your deposit again. What I can't understand is how a deposit on a house - an asset worth several thousand will ALWAYS be returned - yet your deposit of probably €1k won't be refunded regardless of the circumstances! C'est la vie!

Can you check out to see if the hotel have resold your wedding venue for your date? If you can show that they aren't at a loss from the cancellation, you might be able to persuade them to return your deposit (though they probably aren't legally obliged to do so).

bluetoff said:
A wedding was booked with a particular hotel for this coming August,wedding was cancelled almost a year ago, we were informed they could not give us a cash refund but could give us a voucher to the value of the deposit for the hotel, fair enough we thought, rang today enquiring where the voucher was as its almost been 12 months, we were told that the girl we dealt with has since left and nothing was signed by either party so we are entitled to nothing. Surely this is wrong, do I have any rights here,we have the initial receipt from the deposit and a bank record as we paid by cheque.
Did you have the name of the girl you dealt with and if so check to make sure she has left as saying she has left maybe a way of not giving you a voucher. One thing seems strange to me - why did you wait a full year to get back to the hotel about the voucher or have a mis read you post.

Similar thing happened with us.

We cancelled within 2 weeks of giving a 1.5k deposit for a weddding. (Mrs Tubbs-to-be changed her mind !!)

They still had over a year and a half to resell the room.

The first manager we spoke to refused any money back.

I enquired at the Citizens advice places and they said I would be lucky to get any money back. Hotels are not required to return deposits (unless written down that they do)

I thought thats not fair really. So I appealed to another managers better nature (while the first manager was on holiday !) at the hotel and made up some sob story and eventually got some money back.

They kept hundreds for administration costs ! (ie for writing a name in the diary and then tippexing it out !).

We used to go in that hotel every week for Sunday dinner and occasionally for drinks. We have very rarely stepped foot in the place since they refused our money back (that was 4 years ago). Their loss.

Good luck with your situation - hope you get something back.

Back