Wedding cake vs. traditional cake - difference?

I nearly choked on my bun when I saw how expensive it was to get one of those bride&groom ornaments - and it wasn't even tasteful looking. Could this be a major element in the cost?

<snip>

Seems that the only purpose that the cake serves is as the ceremonial 'lets hold the knife together and cut it while being photographed' thing. I don't know that we're going to bother with a cake we get hitched later in the year. If we do, it certainly will not have a bride & groom ornament on it!!

Ah sure Jaysus, an oul' Action Man in a tux and Barbie in a white dress will do grand!!!

It is really just a traditional fruit cake. It depends on if you're having a traditional family wedding there will probably be a fair few relatives there who would like the traditional cake . . ..it depends on whether you want to cater for people with traditional tastes.

We were married in the northwest and there was a local lady who could do anything, she had a whole photo album of incredible cakes she had made. She was extremely reasonable and we had 3 layers of traditional, carrot and chocolate sponge. For a wedding of 150 I think it cost us around 350. She also supplied the cake stand and liaised with the florist to have it decorated with fresh flowers. It was delicious. Very good value for such professionalism and peace of mind on the day.

Back