Website that can help child decide on further education and career path

AndroidMan

Do such sites exist where:

User puts in all their likes /dislikes
Strengths / weaknesses
Personal aspirations
And so on

That then helps with giving some direction on suitable further education choices and career paths?

My child is in leaving cert year and like most at their age have no idea what they want to do.

I found this one, not tried it yet but I want to try a few if there are any recommendations: https://www.thecareertest.org/

"You cannot skip questions but you can return back to them later."

Based on the evidence in that sentence, I hope they don't make recommendations about English language courses!

I tried it out but it was very long winded.

I gave up with only 30% completed. And won't be returning back to it. I haven't time for this sort of stuff.

1693945293526.png

Attachments

• 1693945270165.png
    1693945270165.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 4
There were three price plans at the end to get your analysis, ranging from something like $15 to $30 - I closed the window and did not take note.

It was tedious to fill out and I dont see this one giving me what I want though.

There were three price plans at the end to get your analysis, ranging from something like $15 to $30

That is very cheeky. Given that you probably have to spend 20 minutes filling in the rubbish only to be told that you have to pay for it.

Brendan

There is https://careersportal.ie/ which may be more Irish based but I did not check the site out so don’t know how good it is.

Does you leaving cert person want to go to university? Then exploring the courses and potential careers may help them. If they don’t know and really want to go to third level, direct them to the closest and see what is on offer. I got my oldest to take the booklet of courses from the local college and tear our those that were of 0 interest or unattainable or whatever and to concentrate on what was left. Explore the course, what modules were covered what careers they led to etc.

But a good careers guidance councillor will be able to do aptitude tests that may point to other careers - not everything needs to go the university direction.

There is https://careersportal.ie/ which may be more Irish based but I did not check the site out so don’t know how good it is.

Does you leaving cert person want to go to university? Then exploring the courses and potential careers may help them. If they don’t know and really want to go to third level, direct them to the closest and see what is on offer. I got my oldest to take the booklet of courses from the local college and tear our those that were of 0 interest or unattainable or whatever and to concentrate on what was left. Explore the course, what modules were covered what careers they led to etc.

But a good careers guidance councillor will be able to do aptitude tests that may point to other careers - not everything needs to go the university direction.
Good ideas. They are completely udecided and so are most of their friends. I just hope they dont all decide to do the same course just to try and be together, so I want to support to be sure that the decision that makes sense is made.

I am encouraging my first child to write a dreamography, which is basically a no boundaries list or narrative of jobs that they would potentially like. The dreamography can be reviewed Periodically with ideas struck off or added. The idea behind this is that as the child grows they capture ideas and then look for exposure to how that career might work or how the career might not work for them and then they can amend their list accordingly.

I’m probably not explaining it very well, but it’s basically a prompt for them to occasionally think about what might suit them, and ask questions about it. Start as young as 12.

Back