Web Developers - Is IE6 compatibility necesary?

The vast majoirity aren't using older browsers like IE5/6 because they want to, its because they've not bothered to upgrade it. Most will have no problem upgrading if required, if they really want the content.

IMO.
there's plenty who have no choice but to use IE6 as its their corporate stanard. Rewriting hundreds of badly written internal apps aint trivial!

Using 10yr old browser riddled with security issues might be more of a problem...
true enough in once sense, but when you're behind a firewall, with malware protection its less of an issue. Corporate inertia and undoing the mistakes of the past take time

I wholeheartedly agree re the standards, but realistically you can't exclude IE from the equation.

And with the major browser developers like Microsoft, Mozilla and now Google with Chrome (will target HTML5 going forward to try kill Flash etc) actively contributing to various parts of fluctuating standards it gets even more tricky.

Stick to tried and tested ways of doing things, with clean and not too cutting edge CSS and you should be fine, even in IE6, which at this stage comes with a serious health warning, so to any companies staying put, you probably spend more time twigging the firewall against attacks that worrying about your employees browser version.

The vast majoirity aren't using older browsers like IE5/6 because they want to, its because they've not bothered to upgrade it. Most will have no problem upgrading if required, if they really want the content.

IMO.
There are many corporate users who do not have control (admin rights) over their own desktop, and are unable to upgrade to new versions or install other browsers. They are stuck with whatever version is current corporate policy, and the IT geeks aren't going to take on an upgrade project (and all the testing of corporate apps that goes with it) to accomodate one or two fancy websites.

The fancier you make it, the fewer people will see it.

I personally love simple .... I hate the fancy flash based sites ... if anything they make me click elsewhere.

I personally love simple .... I hate the fancy flash based sites ... if anything they make me click elsewhere.

I totally agree. If you look at the top blogs/news sites etc, you see that well styled CSS and clean consistent and logical layout are the way forward. This is what HTML5 aims to give; standard markup for common usage structures, for example a <header> and <footer> tag.

Flash is on the way out I think. Apple hate it, and thus don't use it, so if the likes of the MacBook and new iPad are the future, then Flash's future is in doubt.
I personally think that its buggy and causes the majority of load issue with a site.

Back