Watering plants while on holiday

Scotty

Does anyone have any ideas, or know of a product, for how to water my plants while I go on holiday?

I live in the middle of nowhere, so can't ask the neighbour to pop over every day. I'd usually just let the plants tough it out, but with this weather, I'd say a few mightn't last too long.

thanks,

J.

Just found this online:

"Water plants when on vacation by placing a bowl of water near the potted plant . Tuck thick cotton cord or a strip of cotton fabric into the bowl and the soil. In time, the cord/fabric will absorb water and carry it up to the plant."

Anyone ever try this?

J.

That's what I do every year, Scotty...

Just place a large bucket of water (ideally where it might be topped up by the occasional shower - has been known to happen, mid-summer! :rolleyes:) with spare shoelaces connected downwards to a tray large enough to accommodate all the precious potted plants. Osmosis should/will do the rest, unless you've some very delicate specimens growing...

That's clever! I must try that out sometime - even if I don't head off on hols! :)

I'd love a holiday but work at the moment and imminent arrival of a baby puts that on the backburner! Even my trip to Belgium to see Bohs play in the InterToto Cup this weekend went by the wayside I'm afraid... :(

All the same clubman it would probably be going beyond the call of duty to test out this plant watering method while NOT actually going on holidays.

Bohs, now there's a side that deserves a bit of success again (well at least their supporters do).

Theo Goon said:
All the same clubman it would probably be going beyond the call of duty to test out this plant watering method while NOT actually going on holidays.
Not really. Just labour saving. Although I don't have that many to water since I donated most of the house plants to work recently!

Bohs, now there's a side that deserves a bit of success again (well at least their supporters do).
Well, it's not that long ago since we had [broken link removed] and we are rebuilding nicely at the moment to expect some again soon. Maybe not this season though.

Yes, it's only been a few years since bohs won the league but it feels like longer.

And Bohs will have to stop listing runner-up "honours" on the their website. Or at least not on a page called "Major Honours."

What are the origins of the name Bohemian Football Club by the way?

DrMoriarty said:
That's what I do every year, Scotty...

Just place a large bucket of water (ideally where it might be topped up by the occasional shower - has been known to happen, mid-summer! :rolleyes:) with spare shoelaces connected downwards to a tray large enough to accommodate all the precious potted plants. Osmosis should/will do the rest, unless you've some very delicate specimens growing...

Just a quick update: this worked brilliantly, plants actually look better than ever, I suppose because they're only taking what they need. Result being I'm going to leave the shoelace system in place. You have to have the bottom of the plant raised above the top level of the water though, else the plant takes on too much water.

J.

I've seen (somewhere) a small fitting that you screw onto the top of a large 7up/coke plastic bottle. You fill the bottle with water and set the drip on it and it slowly drips into the pot. You placed it upside down in the soil obviously.

Can't remember where I saw it though!

Back