Warning: Stay away from cold callers putting up facia boards...

General rule is to stay well clear of any "tradesmen" calling to the house offering their services. If at all possible, look for recommendations from friends & neighbours.

Failing that, look up a number of companies in the Golden Pages and the like, and try to assess which are reputable and which are not. Most trades will now provide free estimates for any such work, when they call, try to have a few questions ready for them, and use their responses to help you choose.

Always look for a land line, at least then you have some hope of tracking them down, through the courts if necessary. If they're only prepared to give you a mobile number, chances are they'll just ignore you in the event of problems, and pay-as-you-go phones are generally untraceable!

I previously bought a house from a builder who never answered his phone, but usually phones back straight away after listening to the message I left. A while later the sheriff’s office called looking for him, they had something like 4 mobile numbers for him, but he never returned their calls...

Back to your particular problem, there are many companies around doing PVC facia and guttering, it's not beyond a competent DIY'er to put up.

Leo

Even if you say 'no' they might go ahead and start the work anyway! When I lived in Galway, there was a popular scam of a group of 'tradesman' :)rolleyes: ) who called to houses asking if they wanted to have their driveways (re)tarred. Even if the occupants said 'no'. the cowboys would come back at some stage when no-one was around and rip up half the drive-thus ensuring that the drive would have to be tarred again anyway.

I'm sure someone is going to say 'didn't these people not call the Gardai?', well sure, but that's not always going to result in a happy outcome is it? e.g. "We know who robbed your house, but we don't have any evidence......."

Can't agree more with taking advice from friends or family about who is the right person for the job anybody who cold calls is just a nobody who can't find any work from word of mouth so they try to put pressure on people to get the job done with promisses of "I/we can do it at a much lower cost" I got a pro to do my house with PVC facia, soffit, gutters and downpipes for E450.00 he is based in Limerick though and came highly reccommended from my family managed to get a discount from him due to the fact that when my next door neighbour saw his work she decided to have hers done aswell and she was very impressed with the price and service received.

Buyer beware folks there are cowboys everywhere just looking for handy money and won't feel guilty about ripping you off.

Good Luck ;)

Same thing happened my Parents about a month ago in the Fingal area.

Guys doing the gutters got about 3 jobs that week on our road. The work looks good but as soon as we had any rain, there were leaks everywhere.
We have their mobile but anytime we get through we are fobbed off or promised that they would return later in the week. We were waiting a week for our old gutters to be taken from the front garden.

I googled the company involved and can find nothing even though they had about 3 large fully signed vans.

sparrow said:
I googled the company involved and can find nothing even though they had about 3 large fully signed vans.

Put their name here so that they will appear in google as a company to be avoided. Poor service deserves to be rewarded with bad publicity.

Seagull said:
Put their name here so that they will appear in google as a company to be avoided. Poor service deserves to be rewarded with bad publicity.

I'd rather not for legal reasons. I think it's best just to ask anyone doing work for you to provide named and contactable references as mentioned above.

I had some cold callers attempting to sell me a basket for the chimney to keep birds out. When I said I didn't want one they were extremely persistent. They came back 3 times within 20 mins to point out that I REALLY should have one! I wouldn't let anyone up on my roof to fit a basket - are these cowbooys even insured. They would probably turn around and sue you if they fall.

With my first house a chap called round the fitted a crow guard, no problems there, except he couldn't get down the from the roof as there was a smattering of drizzle while he was up there, he had to take his shoes and socks off to get a grip on the slates as he inched his way down. My current house is missing one but am told the builders will fit one as its standard.

Nothing worse than finding a trapped and frightened bird in your living room soiling curtains and carpets after you arrive home from work!!

Back