want to buy new 40" tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I guess any brand can have bad luck and there must be corners being cut to allow such price drops, but you would hope to get a week out of it at least! I presume you got a replacement? You should look for one anyways. Did you check out the sources going into the TV?

I checked all scart leads, etc. Everything looks fine. I was so busy today I didn't even have time to contact the shop I bought from. I am not a "technophobe" but not an expert either. Will notify shop tomorrow. I have a technical expert coming on Thursday to install free to air dish. Will have him check it out just to be sure before I return it.

The dealer did warn me that there is no way I will get 20 years out of any brand of TV being sold today. He suggested about 5 years as an average.

Still, I expected more than 3 days.

To say I am annoyed would be putting it very mildly.

My golden rule is never to buy from the first batch of anything, be it TVs, computers, software, cars, etc. Wait till all the snags and glitches are ironed out and then buy.

Am I sorry I broke this rule but I needed a TV and Panasonic have never let me down in the past.

If you are near the shop you should bring it in and let them look at it before thursday so that everything is in order for the new installation. I would expect more than 5 years from a decent brand though.

APOLOGY

My humble and sincere apologies to Panasonic.

There is nothing wrong with the TV other than the idiot who didn’t check everything out thoroughly. Following MrMan's post last night, I got up early this morning and checked all the accessories (DVD recorder, VCR, decoder box, CCTV connection). There was a loose connection (I think) down the chain. When I reconnected all, the TV works fine.

I should never have doubted Panasonic.

Excellent TV btw. I’m looking forward to an even better picture when I get MPEG4 aerial and HD dish installed tomorrow.

I would expect more than 5 years from a decent brand though.

So would I. Especially from Panasonic. I am just relaying what the person in the shop told me.

Panasonic are doing a promotion at the moment and this particular model comes with a 5 year no quibble Panasonic (not just the dealer's) parts and labour guarantee. That must be worth a lot.

Thanks MrMan for the advice.

APOLOGY

My humble and sincere apologies to Panasonic.

There is nothing wrong with the TV other than the idiot who didn’t check everything out thoroughly. Following MrMan's post last night, I got up early this morning and checked all the accessories (DVD recorder, VCR, decoder box, CCTV connection). There was a loose connection (I think) down the chain. When I reconnected all, the TV works fine.

I should never have doubted Panasonic.

Excellent TV btw. I’m looking forward to an even better picture when I get MPEG4 aerial and HD dish installed tomorrow.

So would I. Especially from Panasonic. I am just relaying what the person in the shop told me.

Panasonic are doing a promotion at the moment and this particular model comes with a 5 year no quibble Panasonic (not just the dealer's) parts and labour guarantee. That must be worth a lot.

Thanks MrMan for the advice.
Alls well that ends well, it could just have easily been the TV but from having dealt with TVs in the past it can more often than not be the sources going in that are faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back