Wages frequently late

BusyBeep

Hi there,

I work for a small private business.
Prior to the pandemic, we were paid monthly, but since returning to work we're being paid weekly.
Since August, my wages have been over 2 days late on three occasions.
Prior to the pandemic, it was also common that our wages would be late.
Once I tell my employer that I haven't been paid, they immediately apologise and authorise payment. But it just seems to be a recurring problem and extremely frustrating and inconvenient.
As it's a small, family run business, there is no formal internal complaints procedure.
What can I do to stop this happening in the future without making a formal complaint?
Thanks.

I take it that there are other people working there as well - could you agree with other employees to approach the Management and explain that standing orders, direct debits etc., have not been paid when the wages are late and you could offer that one of you will remind them to put the payroll through as it doesn't appear that they have a "wages clerk" The payroll file has to be sent to the bank by a deadline so that employees who have their accounts in other banks are paid on time. Bank holidays can also effect payment dates.

Thanks for the reply. In this case, it doesn't seem to be anything to do with bank holidays.
That's good advice for us to group together as workers and remind management.

The first people that should be paid are the employees.

Is the business in trouble financially?
Have you looked at last years accounts? You can look at them online for a few Euro.

It's not that they're in trouble financially.
It seems that they genuinely forget to authorise the payment and have to be reminded.

Well can they give the job to someone who does not “forget”. Like an employee or an accountant. People rely on their wages being paid the same day each week or month or else they may go into arrears in rent or mortgage or loan or even to buy groceries. You should not need to explain why you need the money, you need it regularly for your outgoings.

The owner's husband does the payroll
I'm hoping to get a new contract in the New Year.
Should I raise the issue before signing it?

The owner's husband does the payroll
I'm hoping to get a new contract in the New Year.
Should I raise the issue before signing it?

Yes for sure in a diplomatic but firm way.

It could be useful to quantify the cost of late wages for example each employee add up their bounced direct debits penalty fee's and total the cost e.g €10 bank charge and lets say €10 virgin media thats €20 just for one unpaid direct debit if theres 5 staff and it happens twice to each one thats €200

If they can't be bothered to process the wages ontime, then I'd recommend checking with revenue that your employment taxes are paid up to date (but maybe thats an out of date thought because of the new way wages are paid via revenue?)

No one forgets to pay the wages.

They haven't the money available to meet all their outgoings as they fall due.

You should sit down and impress on them the absolute need to pay the wages on time every time.

You should consider if you want to tie yourself long term to a business like this. Have a serious chat with the owners, ask them to be honest with you.

I agree 100% with Creamegg

- this isn't a once off, isolated incident, so its not a genuine mistake.

There's a serious underlying problem here and at best, its an owner who doesn't have any respect for their employees, at worst, its a business with very serious cashflow difficulties, that's close to going bust.

Last edited:
I worked for a family run business back in the day and my wages were late every week. It was usually only a day or two (sometimes up to 4 days), but late none-the-less. My employer was miserable, never paid for additional time worked nor gave time off in lieu. During the year he used to employ his attending 3rd Level nephews for busy periods or relief when I was on holidays and he gave them a higher hourly rate. To be honest, I got fed up with the non arrangement and there was no difficulty with cash flow. It was a case that my employer was just chasing more and more profit not only from week to week or even day to day, but hour to hour. There was never a doubt that I would be paid, My holiday pay was paid after my holidays. The process did little for my self esteem as I was working my brains out. I could say much more against my employer, but I won't.

First chance I got, I left the employ and never regretted the decision. I would advise you to do the same thing. The first thing I did in my new job was to join a trade union.

It's not that they're in trouble financially.
It seems that they genuinely forget to authorise the payment and have to be reminded.
I don't believe that but if it is true it speaks volumes about how they value their employees.

Back