VRT QUERY (car from north)

Checking my options at present- I would need to wait unitl the 1st October before collecting and get 2500 miles added to the clock by letting the sales rep drive the car for the 3 months.

Debating because it is a great car and I'm getting a very good deal on it compared with else is out there

Well found another 320D in the UK - €2k cheaper - doesn't have the Business Navigation but has lots of other extras. It will be 6 months old on the 8th of July (heading over on the 9th) and has 6k miles on the clock so covers both VAT angles. So again thanks hhhhhh, you just save me around 8k.

David Prentice wouldn't give me back my 500 deposit but they did turn it into a credit note. So I guess I'll be going up north to get it serviced next year, or I'll get a few additions like a 6 stack or something, not ideal but better then nothing.

Mahons,
best of luck with new car after that ordeal but it goes to prove that sharing info can be of immense benefit. You could use the 500 to buy a little runaround. I am in the market for an Audi A6 or BMW 520 (2004-06 range). With your vast knowledge, am I better up north or take the plane to UK? And will i benefit from reduced VRT after Tuesday on a second hand import?
Happy motoring

You need to check the CO2 emmissions for that year for each car, the new 520 has the new Dynamic Efficient engines which include the Diesel Particle filter (September 07 onwards) which gives you the lower CO2 . I think www.simi.ie have a full list of Co2 emissions.

As for buying up north, what I've noticed is they are a little more expensive compared with the UK mainland but it is easier to drive for an 1-1/2 from dublin to Belfast/Portadown then flying over to the mainland for checking cars over etc..

But as I've just discovered I've saved roughly 2k so it's worth the extra hassle, buying from a BMW main dealer so a bit of trust going on there. My flight to liverpool is costing me €8.02 (that's for the 2 of us - Ryanair) and the ferry home is £158.

have any of ye when buying up north traded in an Irish reg car or has it been just cash purchases?
have the dealers up there any interest in taking irish reg cars

From the few calls I have made up north, they couldn't give a toss about cars that we have. All they are interested in is hard cash. But with cash in pocket, I am told they will do a deal. Flog your own, even if you think you are taking a hit. You will be compensated at the other end

Back