Voucher hidden costs.

Coolaboy

Hi Folks. I'm buying Vouchers as gifts for family members. Which is the best ones to buy with no hidden costs on them. Thanks.

I tend to avoid vouchers for shops, as they could suddenly cease trading in the current climate. I'd go for a prepaid card that can be used as a regular debit card. You can choose the amount. I don't think charges kick in for about a year.

One4all they're used in thousands of shops, they even have virtual cards now so no losing them.
A lot less shops take them that use to. They charge smaller retailers 12.1% commission. (10% on the gross sale price, so 12.1% of the sales price excluding vat)

Me2You gift cards are accepted by a far larger number of retailers and is operated by Retail excellence and they charge retailers less than 5%. You can buy them in any Applegreen station. https://www.me2you.ie/

Me2You definitely don't have more retailers, they're relatively new. I'm not sure the commission rate matters to us the consumer. I've always gotten a One4all from my employer at Xmas (as most of my friends do too) never a problem spending them we don't hold onto them for too long but yes after 12 months there is a monthly charge taken from the card.

Hi Folks. I'm buying Vouchers as gifts for family members. Which is the best ones to buy with no hidden costs on them. Thanks.

Amazon gift vouchers are the bee's knees!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=gift+online+vouchers&adgrpid=92416141161&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnqH7BRDdARIsACTSAdu9DWzSv1DfAKjbiKopSMUOKViIMq-jLeAe-kFhhab7jeGT-CnLAEQaAvYkEALw_wcB&hvadid=410770960036&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1007835&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=16779262106005416014&hvtargid=kwd-387133196639&hydadcr=8614_1818675&tag=hydrukspg-21&ref=pd_sl_2i1z68cgod_b

In some One4All vouchers you can't even spend the voucher in the shop in which it was bought.

What about something like a Perx rewards card?
Essentially a Mastercard that can be spent anywhere. Personally I'd prefer something like this - still a "voucher" as such but can be spent anywhere that takes Mastercard?

Me2You definitely don't have more retailers, they're relatively new. I'm not sure the commission rate matters to us the consumer. I've always gotten a One4all from my employer at Xmas (as most of my friends do too) never a problem spending them we don't hold onto them for too long but yes after 12 months there is a monthly charge taken from the card.
Certainly the last report I saw had substantially more retailers than one4all.

Possibly in terms of numbers of shops it's closer, but the variety of retailers accepting me2you is far bigger than one4all.

Commission rate matters because smaller retailers are willing to accept me2you cards giving you more choice. Certainly the reason I won't accept one4all is the excessive commission and the same for other retailers I know - we all accept me2you. We're all local retail stores.

Th OP is a consumer not a retailer so no commission does not matter.

If you check out both websites, Me2You has 645 retailers and One4all has 2,355 so I would say One4all is the better gift of choice.

bear in mind if you get one4all vouchers the maximum online spend in one transaction is €50

The max €50 online transaction is line with EU Regulations just the way now the maximum value you can put on one card is €150.

Back