VolvoV70 expensive to maintain - advice please

E

ElaineMc

Hi! I have a Volvo V70, 00 reg, which I bought when it was three years old. Between servicing and replacement parts, each year it is costing me about E2500 just for servicing and parts. Is this expensive for this type of car? I go to the Volvo dealership because everything seems to be computerised on them, and when I have brought it to other mechanics they have not been able to fix the problem. Currently, I have to replace something electronic every six months - I find this very expensive. Now, I am looking at replacing the ETS (Electronic Throttle System) at E830.00 after Christmas (if it lasts until then). Has anyone had similar problems with these cars. Besides that I like the car, very comfortable to drive, and it feels very safe on the road, and this is n.b. as I have two young children. Can anyone recommend a similar heavy car which is safe and reliable? Should I expect this type of expense with this class of car - I've previously only had smallish cars? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Big Volvo running costs are relatively high.

A pal ran a S80 for 4 years and servicing was scary. Nice cars though.

At 5 years old I'd ask what is to be gained by maintaining the car with a main dealer. You are well outside warrenty so why pay the premium. I had an S70 for 2 years. It was 5 years old when I got it and had over 50k on the clock. I found it relaible and comfortable. I didn't go near Volvo dealers at any stage. I bought it through a mechanic I know and he serviced it for me. I put 30k on it in the time I had it and apart from a service and petrol (which it liked alot) it cost me nothing (well apart from the 2 NCT's).

I replaced it with a Skoda Superb. It was the only car I could find that was cheap(ish) and could accomodate two kids a wife and me in comfort. We travel the length of the country regularily visiting relatives and this car is even better than the Volvo in most respects. The drivers seat isn't as comfy though. The running costs are a fraction of the Volvo, 45mpg v's 25 and it is way more relaxed as you don't need to rev it to get it shifting. It is well insulated and extremely well equipped. Road tax was slightly reduced too.

I agree with the main dealer stuff.

I only use them to keep the warranty valid on new cars.

I still wouldn't drive a Skoda though :D even if it was "Superb".

Thanks everyone for your replies. I would take it to another mechanic other than the main dealer, but each time I have taken it to this other mechanic, who says he has all the computer equipment to correct the faults, the fault lights have still continued to flash and the problem remains unsolved. If anyone knows a good mechanic who deals with volvo cars, I would be very grateful for the number. It seems that so many cars nowdays have to have specific computers to test for faults - is this true or am I being conned. Originally, I did intent to keep the car and run it into the ground. I guess I am trying to decide whether to keep it (no loans outstanding on it) or to get an o4/05 Toyota avensis or Corolla Verso, where the repayments would be similar to my Volvo, but would the servicing would be a fraction of the cost, as would petrol. I really bought the Volvo for road safety.

Back