Village type setting not too far from Dublin?

OP, depends on your working hours, early start time you would fly in from Kill to Newlands X. My parents live there so I know it very well and it's vastly improved and some lovely new developments there. The school situation is something you need to take into account, it's totally full and Ardclough, Naas or Rathcoole are your options which would be a right pain really!. My Dad leaves at 7am to be in Inchicore for 8am everyday and makes it unless something happens!. The traffic is mental but if you have an early start and finish you should be okay but rush hour in the mornings and evenings is a joke!.
Have you thought of Kilcullen even??. Aparantly it's a nice place to live in now and the prices are very good out there. Personally I dislike Naas, but that's just my opinion. Sallins...just a continuation of Naas imho. Kildare town, haven't been in it for years but was never mad about it. Rathangan is nice but it's a good bit out!.

Lived outside Kilcullen most of my life and hated it, have to say Kildare Town much better

Kilcullen is a dump nothing in it (harsh but true). Naas is lovely but houses a good bit dearer there if thats a factor for you.

The only thing good about Sallins is the train station.

I agree Kalel, the commute to Newlands Cross is of no relevance, of course you will fly up to there in 30/40 mins and then about another hour or more into city.

Better option would be the train.

Again Kildare, Naas not really a village setting.

Unfortunately a lot of housing estates are turing into places you wouldnt want to bring up children.

What about looking for a house on small bit of land outside one of these towns, going to be expensive but better for children.

Unfortunately a lot of housing estates are turing into places you wouldnt want to bring up children.

What about looking for a house on small bit of land outside one of these towns, going to be expensive but better for children.
We looked at a house on the back road near Kill a few years ago. We came to the conclusion that our children would be prisoners in their own home as the roads were so dangerous. Even going for a walk with the dog in the evening was not an option as cars went so fast. As the children grew up we would spend our time driving them to friends, clubs, events etc 'till they were old enough to drive themselves at which stage we would worry about them being in a car crash...
In the end we bought a smaller house in the suburbs in Dublin near a park, school and shops where the kids could walk to their friends houses and there were good cycle paths.
My point is that we came to the conclusion that a housing estate was the best place to bring up children. If we didn't have a heap of kids it would be an apartment in the city centre and a small house on a bit of land in the country but that's a different story.

Thanks for all the replies and opinions in general folks.
Definitely a lot of food for thought in your posts.
As far as the traffic situation goes, neither myself nor my wife would have to travel as far as Newlands Cross to work so maybe the commute in from somewhere like Naas or Kill would be a doddle.

My point is that we came to the conclusion that a housing estate was the best place to bring up children

Very goog point and probably very true. It's just a matter of finding a nice housing estate in a nice area rather than trying to get away from housing estates altogether

Kilcullen was a dump when I was growing up but I have not been in it for years (was in it once for a basketball match when I was 12!!) but someone told me a while ago it had improved and 2 people I went to school with live there now and are very happy, it certainly would never have been on my list of places to live.
The prices in the likes of Kill are starting to fall/stabilize as a house near my parents house which is huge and had a site to the side went for €40k less than it would have last year so I would wait a bit if I were you, that's if you can. Again, I would ensure you know the school situation it's really bad there and doesn't look like it's going to improve soon either, really dreadful. Alot of residents in the village are furious over it especially the big sign on the school as you come into the village that they will not be taking anymore enrolments!.
Naas...just be careful what estate you buy in but there is information on this site about various estates there to avoid.
Kill/Naas/Newbridge have vastly improved with the new roads and shopping centres so you have a good choice there. Good luck with your search.

I have recently purchased in Kill and I know our builder is building the new school. It was part of the conditions given to him when he was given planning permission to extend the Estate.

I dont know how far away that is though as the site is not even dug out yet. I too would watch parts of Naas as my new neighbour in Kill is down from Naas and said she had to get out!

I agree with headachecity the school will be the huge problem for new residents in Kill.

MandaC if I'm correct in thinking of the new development at the back of Earls Court, that builder hasnt been granted permission to build new school, he has lodged an application to build more houses with the proviso that he would build a school. The application is still under consideration and doesnt look like it will be approved.

Back