Vienna restaurants, cafes and hotels?

Cheers Petal more than I could ask for :)

Will try both Flanagans and Johnnys would not want to miss out

Watched the third man again and doing the tour on Friday when over there with This Crowd

Not so sure about Ferris Wheel as Miss Gunner afraid of Heights

Thanks for the food & tour ideas will check them out

May check out concentration camp but after visiting Dachau a while back may hold back

Yep Hungary seems the better option even though people are suppose to be rude(not my words and I know a very friendly Hungarian person)

Read the Lonely planet guide and rough guide gave me some good tips thanks to your ex

Got a taxi from the airport to Hotel for €29 guy called Georg email gutmann-taxi@gmx.at

Was going to get CAT train but we land late so taking this option and may get train back

Will post reply when I get back If my memory does not let me down

Again thanks for your post

stayed in the Hotel Alpha close enough to everything and right beside the Rahtaus. Walked everywhere

Drank in Flanagans for Paddys day but also Molly Darcys, The Bogside and Charlie P's. Flanagans was the only one with a band the others were token paddys day celebrations

Ate in brezlg'wolb nice austrian restaurant but charged us 20c for milk? Also ate in Figlmueller pretty decent.Also Regina Margherita nice Italian but service a bit slow.Also ate at [broken link removed] good but expensive and trendy bar playing good indian trip hop music downstairs

Also drank in the bermuda triangle and bit like temple bar but hey when in rome drank in Krah Krah pretty decent.First floor bar just a posh cocktail bar and also went to Flex good beats bit 90 ish

Went up to Grinzing for the wines and if you want to go there get the u bahn after 4pm as that is when they open. For lunch go down Wienzeille street as loads of food there

Did the [broken link removed] walk very good

Never did any concerts or mozart stuff but plenty of it if you want it

Good place for couples and maybe older folk I and Miss Gunner had fun

Hi All,

I have just booked flights for Vienna for a 3 day break.. Looked at the Hotel Alpha but they are not showing availability. K+ K Maria Theresia available for about €295 per room per night. Seems to be a bit above average with again mixed reviews on tripadvisor.

Has anyone else any suggestions for a good (4 star ish) hotel in the city centre - preferably something modern?

From reading posts above someone mentioned going to Budapest for a day trip.. Is this realistic? How far roughly would it be on a train?

Thanks a mil...

Try ringing the hotel alpha as website can be a bit sticky at times

Did a day trip to Budapest cost about €100 and takes about 2 half hours to get there by bus early in the morning and home about 8 at night

Did it with the local tour group ok

Worth it for a day trip and you get to the castle and about 2 and a bit hours to yourself

Need any other info let me know and I will try to help

Hi Armada,

Here is a link to the Austrian "[broken link removed]" - I've queried for hotels in the inner city. It shows a map of the inner city and has listings for 50 hotels. When are you going?

Edit: Ok, I figured that the search result expires and doesn't come up anymore. So for anyone looking for hotels in the city centre type in Hotel in the "wer, was" box (what, who) and 1010 Wien into the "wo" box (where). It will then list all the results and show a map, which can be enlarged. This is central Vienna only then though, if you want a wider search just enter Wien.

Last edited:
Thank you Petal...

Going Mon 14th for 3 nights. I have emailed a few hotels directly eg K+K Maria T and currently have received no replies.

Have a look at http://ireland.hotels.com/pageDetails.do?&destinationId=A1158333-6ED7-869E-C712-A280EC907FB9&hotelId=109390&arrivalDate=14/04/2008&departureDate=17/04/2008&numberOfRooms=1&adultsPerRoom=2&childrenPerRoom=0 (this) one, it is in a very handy location. I found it on hotels.com and there is one room left. It belongs to the same chain as the alpha hotel

And one is in a great location, too - bang on in the center, you couldn't get any more central, and looks very nice and modern.

Just back from Vienna and stayed here [broken link removed] Would certainly recommend. Great central location, breakfast included, U Bahn stop right oustide the door (not that you'd need to use it because nearly everything was withing walking distance).

Hi again,

Petal thanks again for going to so much trouble for me... The Europa is showing availability with a better rate on their own website.

Eiregal ... Your hotel has no availability for our dates so it looks as if we will go with Petal's recommedation. Location is a key factor and I'd say we can't get much better.

Maybe the mods would consider moving this "Vienna" thread to Key Posts as Vienna is not currently listed there under City Breaks.

Will keep you posted..:)

That's great, and no bother, I know how difficult it is to find somewhere good to stay, and as I'm a true Viennese it's easy for me to recommend somewhere. Just make sure that you book the one located on Kaernterstrasse, i think trend hotels have hotels all over vienna.

Spend a few days there last year, loved the place. Especially the ease at getting around on the transport system. Vienna Card a must for that. Found the Aer Lingus web site gave very good hotel discounts when looking for places to stay, sometimes much cheaper than hotels own websites.

Back