Very low percentage of tests result in positives

Brendan Burgess

Founder
From another thread about the UK

The Department of Health in Britain also said that, as of 9am today, a total of 195,524 people have been tested of which 47,806 tested positive.

So it's 25% in the UK. In Ireland up until recently it was 6% and now it's up to about 15% because of improved targeting.

Seems like a very big difference.

Do we have up to date figures for the Republic?

Brendan

At the time of posting:

Total tested 30,213

Total cases 4,604

Therefore, percentage positive = 15%

Prior to the change in testing criteria, 6% of those tested were positive.

From the NPHET statement of Wed 25th March, at that stage there were 1,564 confirmed cases:

"Dr. Tony Holohan, Chief Medical Officer, Department of Health, said:

"Our data showed yesterday that only 6% of our tests so far returned positive; so for every 100 people we test we are only finding 6 people with COVID-19. In light of this, our case definition changed."

Last edited:
The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has been informed of 331 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland, as of 1pm, Saturday 4 April. There are now 4,604 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

Guys - there is no need to make it personal.

We are trying to get at the answer and not win an argument.

Brendan

FRom today

Some 37,000 tests for Covid-19 have been completed and their results returned, according to Ms O’Connor.

Total confirmed cases 4,994

So 14%

Based on 1564 positives at 6% there were 26,000 tests completed and reported on 25th March.

There are 3,430 new cases since then. Going by the current figure above of 37,000 tests in total, the new cases have arisen in 11,000 tests. So 31% positive since the criteria for testing was changed.

Thanks Ligon

Is this the calculation you are doing?

It's astonishing that it has gone from 6% to 31%.

Have they mentioned this figure officially? I had heard a 15% figure.

Brendan

Attachments

• 1586116172574.png
    1586116172574.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 151
Yes, that's correct Brendan.

The figures for 25th March come from the government press release referred to earlier in the thread, I probably wasn't clear about that:

1564 cases at that stage with 6% of tests positive.

I haven't heard the figure of 31% referred to anywhere, 15% is the highest I heard before now.

There has been a lot of talk about tests this week, but very little information about the specific number of tests being carried out and reported on.

It's not uncommon in medicine to have false positives.
Eg I work as optometrist. I refer about 6 out of every 100 patients for suspect glaucoma.
Of those 6, only 1-2 people would generally be diagnosed.

This is similar. Patients meet certain criteria for referral but do not end up being diagnosed.

Based on 1564 positives at 6% there were 26,000 tests completed and reported on 25th March.

There are 3,430 new cases since then. Going by the current figure above of 37,000 tests in total, the new cases have arisen in 11,000 tests. So 31% positive since the criteria for testing was changed.
You couldn't go by figures they are giving.you have only 11000 since march 25 when they said that were doing up to 4500 a day at start of week just gone down to 1500 by end .They also said first German test results were back Saturday around 2000 but for some reason didn't count them yesterday.When asked how many passed away in nursing homes they also had no idea as if

Dr Holohan, at the press briefing this evening, said that a precise figure for testing will be given tomorrow evening but it will be a lot bigger than 35,000. It will be the number of tests completed as at midnight tonight.

Back