VAT56/VAT60

catnonie

What is the difference between a VAT 56 and VAT 60a. My understanding is a VAT 56 is where someone is going to be exporting over 75% of their product/services abroad (all intra-community). They can apply not to have VAT charged on other Irish purchases to avoid a continuous VAT reclaim. However in what case would an EU VAT Registered Trader need to complete VAT 60a form because they wouldn't be charged VAT anyway? I feel like I am missing something - if they are not being charged VAT then why would you need VAT 60a?

My understanding is that a Vat 60A is for foreign traders who wish to reclaim Irish vat on costs they've incurred.

Thanks Dublin67. If reverse charge VAT applies to exports (non EU) and EU then under what circumstances might a foreign need this VAT 60A?

In limited circumstances really - not all supplies (vat word for sales of good or services) are done on the reverse charge so if the non EU established trader incurs Irish vat during business then they may reclaim it this way. My understanding is EU established traders reclaim vat under the EVR scheme so a VAT 60A really only applies to non EU established traders. In the olden days it was called a 13th directive reclaim.

Back