Vanguard Standard Life vs Vanguard All World Degiro

Cyclingmagpie

Hi All,

Just wondering is their any other hidden fees or T&C with the Vanguard Standard life product vs the Degiro product ?

- Vanguard Standard life fees - Having an annual management charge of 0.95%.
- Vanguard FTSE All-World ETF (Accumulating), IE00BK5BQT80, TER 0.22%, Euronext Amsterdam

So the benefit off Standard life is they do the taxes for you but you need to save minimum €500 monthly to avail off 101% allocation so why choose the hassle off Degiro for monthly saving vs Standard Life or what else am i missing ?

Last edited:
One other thing I think you are missing is the disadvantaged way Standard Life do the tax for you. On the 8yrs anniversary when the tax is due, they pay the tax by using money that's within the fund. They won't let you pay the tax from your own separate source of money from outside of the fund. This has an effect on the long term performance of the fund.

With Degiro, you can pay the tax from your own cash, etc and leave the fund alone. It's bad enough having to pay the deemed disposal without being forced to pay it by taking money from he fund itself.

This is the way I was told it is with Zurich anyway and their life products, you could maybe email Standard Life directly and ask this but I'd assume they're all the same. Best get a 2nd opinion in case I'm mistaken.

With the Zurich funds at least, this is not an option. They don't let you pay the tax via alternative means like from your cash, it's taken directly from the fund, but also they don't let you top up the fund either. Well, they don't let you top up the bond type funds which were a single lump sum investment, if you wish to add more money you have to set up a new separate bond investment.
This point did come up before. Fair enough, some of the life assurance companies may be restrictive on this.

And if the allocation rate was less than 101% it would be more expensive to pay the tax from your own source because of the 1% levy. In general money is fungible and with ETFs it's the same whether cashing in the fund or paying from your own cash, but not with life products.

Last edited:
Back