Using married & maiden name

Charley

Can you continue to use either your maiden name or married name indefinitely after marriage, or do you have to 'choose' one that you wish to go by?

And doesn't that mean you have two legal identities then..

"And doesn't that mean you have two legal identities then. "

No , as I think Jimmy Durante might say..............

I yam what I yam ............

In legal parlance you are who you are so that would be Charley Married Name also known as Charley Maiden Name or the other way around.

Mind you, if chopping and changing from one name to the other, it does tend to cause a lot of confusion and there is a lot to be said for opting to be one or the other.

mf

Here is a quote from our old friend www.citizensinformation.ie
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/e...ionships/changing_your_name_by_deed_poll.html

"There is no legal or other obligation on anyone in Ireland to change their name on marriage. The fact that some people do, is purely based on tradition and culture. They may for example wish to signify they have joined a new family, etc. and therefore take the new name - but this is purely a social/cultural choice and has no legal basis.
How you earn your name is by use and repute. Effectively this means for most purposes, if someone wants to be known by their married name (or any other), then they just use this name and ask people to call them by it."

Yes I read that on Citizens Information but it seems to be talking about using one name (whether it's maiden or married or any other name)

I just wanted to make sure it was okay to use either the maiden or married name and not just be known by just one of them. As it seems to be judging by what mf1 has said.

Thanks for the replies

It might come against you if it seemed that your reason for using two names was deception - for example, borrowing money in each name without disclosing the facts to the lenders.

On the other hand, I have come across cases where women kept their maiden names in their work environment, but were happy to adopt their husbands' names in their family/social context. That's a way of compartmentalising life that many people would think quite aceptable.

My wife uses both her maiden and my surname. Her passport still had 8 years to go until renewal when we married, she just changed to her married name on renewal.

She brought in a raft of certificates to her bank branch when she was changing from her maiden name to married name. They lost the photocopies and asked her to bring them in again. Needless to say, she didn't waste her time again and is still known by her maiden name for banking and financial purposes, married name for all the rest. Old school or workmates would still know her by her maiden name.

Prior to us getting married I did say to her that I didn't expect her to use my surname and wouldn't mind at all if she still used her original surname.

Given that your husband now owns you, when he took you off your father's hands at the wedding, I feel it only right you should show him some respect and take his name:D

Back