Urgent -need help! car scratched

M

mark_d

Hi, can't go into full details but lets just say I need to get 2 roughly 10cm scrapes fixed up ASAP. anyone got the number/contact of a reliable garage/repair centre that you've used where I could get this done. Anywhere in Dublin area?

Thanks

Hi

There is some franchise company in Golden Pages that will come to your location and carry work on same. The charged us around 150 euro or less as far as i remember.

mark_d said:
...can't go into full details but lets just say I need to get 2 roughly 10cm scrapes fixed up ASAP.
Just wait 'til your father gets home...! ;)

How deep/wide are the scratches? Does the car have metallic paintwork? If not, and if the scratches are minor, [broken link removed] might do the job (or some equivalent product — see this discussion on Boards.ie). However, if they're deep gouges, and you can see the metal, better to get the job done right...

If you are based in Dublin I see that Halfords the new car accessories shop have now opened in Carrickmines with all the current car paints available.

T-Cut

Just wondering about the T-Cut that was mentioned above??
How do you get an exact match in colour? And is it severe on the car after alot of use? Would it fade the colour around the scratch?

Re: T-Cut

MargeSimpson said:
Just wondering about the T-Cut that was mentioned above??
How do you get an exact match in colour? And is it severe on the car after alot of use? Would it fade the colour around the scratch?
You don't have to match the colour — it's a mild abrasive 'rubbing compound' that basically 'lifts' a film of the surrounding paint and smudges into the scratch. But it needs to be used with caution! (i.e. test on an inconspicuous area first...) It's no good for very deep scratches, or for metallic or lacquered finishes — because it removes the glossy outer layer, and it could probably end up looking worse than before — but it's a cheap quick fix for older cars that you wouldn't want to spend €200 on respraying. You need to wax/polish over it, a few days later, to seal it in.

Back