Unhygienic food in supermarkets

Ah of course there is a chance, there is always a chance. But certainly from my bakery working days, the chance was far far higher that the food was being contaminated after it left the relatively sterile environment where it was produced.

There's a lovely shop near my mother's which sells beautiful looking bread and cakes. My mother has been asking them for years not to display it unwrapped as there is no way she will buy stuff that other customers have been mauling and coughing over. Only recently have they listened to her. I think you need a volume of complaints for shops to listen and start displaying their goods more hygienically.
I know, in reality, we haven't a clue what goes on behind the scenes in restaurants or even in friends' houses when we go over for dinner. But it's the fact that I can actually see people handling the goods, sneezing etc that is off putting.

there's a coffee shop near me which also sells breads and cakes. some of the the breads are on top of a glass display unit at almost mouth level for customers. customers are constantly breathing, sneezing and dropping money over the breads. I wouldn't get something from there if it was free.

Agreed, I couldnt bear to buy stuff left out like this, having been pawed, sneezed on etc. Ugh.

Insomnia in Donnybrook have their scones/muffins covered with a cellophane sheet to protect them from coughs sneezes etc. Yet in practically every other Insomnia outlet this is not the case. I don't know if this is the branch manager showing a bit of initiative or concern in this outlet but it is highly commended.
Although, the cellophane sheet is exactly the right size for the basket that it is covering. Methinks the other outlets are supposed to do this but don't bother.