Unemployment but we need work visas??

legend99 said:
You know what, you're like Dunphy...you just take the polar opposite point of view of whatever anyone says.
I refute this accusation but, as ever, if you have evidence to back it up feel free to post it.
My evidence is that an extremely close relation of mine is involved in the weekly payment of social welfare and has been told by dozens of people over the years that they way prefer bring on welfare because it suits them and they have no interest in working. She estimates that between 20% and 30% of people she pays say this.
Purely anecdotal as I suspected so.

ClubMan said:
I refute this accusation but, as ever, if you have evidence to back it up feel free to post it.

Purely anecdotal as I suspected so.

sorry now, but I refute your allegation that i making this up on heresay. I am supplying you with facts from the mouths of the people who receive the benefits.
Approx. 200 people are paid welfare from this location. Approx. 50 people make cheerful reference to the fact that welfare is happy days for them and they don't care about who knows it.

Also, lets be realistic here. Allowing for 5% of the population to not be included when you say you have full employment allows certain people to take advantage of the system.
Do I feel like these people owe something back to society, yes I certainly do. many years ago they brought in the summer scheme for students who had to work on various community type schemes to claim the dole for the summer.
An extension of that scheme would be something I feel that should be looked at.

legend99 said:
sorry now, but I refute your allegation that i making this up on heresay.
I never alleged that you made this up - I simply said that it is anecdotal evidence which it obviously is.

I am supplying you with facts from the mouths of the people who receive the benefits.
Indirectly via a third party it must be said.

Approx. 200 people are paid welfare from this location. Approx. 50 people make cheerful reference to the fact that welfare is happy days for them and they don't care about who knows it.

Also, lets be realistic here. Allowing for 5% of the population to not be included when you say you have full employment allows certain people to take advantage of the system.
Those "facts" seem a bit vague and the numbers involved not necessarily a representative statistical sample from which wider valid conclusions can be drawn.
Do I feel like these people owe something back to society, yes I certainly do. many years ago they brought in the summer scheme for students who had to work on various community type schemes to claim the dole for the summer.
An extension of that scheme would be something I feel that should be looked at.
The DSFA do have schemes and objectives for facilitating unemployed people to get back into the workforce. In particular see chapter 3 of the most recent annual report available on their website.

right, i'm too busy in work to keep up this argument...but is there any obligation on people to do anything in return for not working and claiming benefit.
It goes back to the old question.....should you receieve unemployment benefit for life or should there be a maximum length of time?

Interesting program on last night - Mother knows best.

Single mother with one child living in 3 bedroom house in Tallaght somewhere.

Smoking 40 cigs a day.

Driving Opel Tigra

28 inch flat screen TV in sitting room.

Absolute lazy sod with no interest in working - being supported by SW.

Should this not be case for SW to investigate?

legend99 said:
right, i'm too busy in work to keep up this argument...but is there any obligation on people to do anything in return for not working and claiming benefit.
Yes - I mentioned some obligations in this context here. The DSFA do look for evidence from claimants that they are available for and seeking work and will send them on courses and for jobs after a certain period of time. I know this from first hand experience.

Ham Slicer said:
Interesting program on last night - Mother knows best.

Single mother with one child living in 3 bedroom house in Tallaght somewhere.

Smoking 40 cigs a day.

Driving Opel Tigra

28 inch flat screen TV in sitting room.

Absolute lazy sod with no interest in working - being supported by SW.

Should this not be case for SW to investigate?
Yeah - I caught a bit of that show and wondered how she funded her lifestyle. Did they say that she was on SW? I didn't hear that bit. I thought that it was funny how she went from sitting around all day watching TV and smoking to planning to start her own business. Sounded a bit dramatic to me, and maybe setting herself up for disappointment, and I would have thought that paid employment working for somebody else might have been a better first step.

this is a discussion to have over beer in a pub so we will have to agree to disagree.
I'm too busy here to hijack the website for Cork City versus Bohs anymore.

Not being smart (honestly) but what do you disagree with me on precisely?

Oh - and Cork City can only lose it themselves at this stage. Well done. :)

ClubMan said:
I would have thought that paid employment working for somebody else might have been a better first step.
I'm sure she'd welcome your advice on how to handle the cost of fulltime childcare (800-1000 per month) on an entry-level salary?

RainyDay said:
I'm sure she'd welcome your advice on how to handle the cost of fulltime childcare (800-1000 per month) on an entry-level salary?
But this would surely still be a hurdle that she would have to overcome if/when she is building up a new business and before she starts making a profit? In fact, I'm sure that many entrepreneurs earn little or nothing for themselves while they build up their businesses so she could be worse off doing this compared to getting paid employment first. Her plan was to start her own business. I just thought that a more realistic goal might be to get paid employment. Even part time. Her mother (who didn't work as far as I know) seemed so concerned about her daughter's future than she might have been amenable to minding the grandchild for a bit if the daughter got a job. I'm not saying that grown adult children should always or necessarily expect this from their parents but it was an obvious alternative childminding possibility.

Purple said:
We agree on something rainyday. This is happening too often for my liking.
What is happening too often for your liking?

"What is happening too often for your liking?"
Me agreeing with that old pinko is happening too often for my liking. He is warping my mind I tell you!

But this would surely still be a hurdle that she would have to overcome if/when she is building up a new business and before she starts making a profit?

I'd be inclined to agree that getting a job (perhaps in the industry she intended to start a business in) would be a better first step. Perhaps her logic was that she could work from home if she ran her own business. Or perhaps she was just talked into spouting about starting her own business by a TV Crew interested in a dramatic story.

You know what, you're like Dunphy...you just take the polar opposite point of view of whatever anyone says.

I'm sure someone with a bit of spare time could go back over the AAM threads and break down those where you've agreed with people and those where you've disagreed.
While they're at it they could figure out if disagreement is just correlated with you and I being on the same thread, or caused by it. :)

An alternative strategy would be to post 100 random ovservations over the next year and see what percentage you take the polar oppostive view on. Just a suggestion, if there are any dole bludgers out there with nothing to do....feel free to post your research. :)

-Rd

daltonr said:
I'm sure someone with a bit of spare time could go back over the AAM threads and break down those where you've agreed with people and those where you've disagreed.
While they're at it they could figure out if disagreement is just correlated with you and I being on the same thread, or caused by it. :)

An alternative strategy would be to post 100 random ovservations over the next year and see what percentage you take the polar oppostive view on. Just a suggestion, if there are any dole bludgers out there with nothing to do....feel free to post your research. :)

-Rd
Yeah, yeah - whatever... :rolleyes:

Was that agreement or disagreement. If we're going to do this properly you'll need to be precise.

-Rd

Back