Ulster Bank vs BOI??

got offers off both of the banks mentioned above.....i know that there would be various pros and cons for both of them but if you had to toss up between the two which in general have the best record for FTB's 100% tracker mortgage buyers???

11.11.18 said:
got offers off both of the banks mentioned above.....i know that there would be various pros and cons for both of them but if you had to toss up between the two which in general have the best record for FTB's 100% tracker mortgage buyers???

I'd purely go with UB because of BOI's history of overcharging their customers.

We're finding UB very slow in processing our offer so if yer in a hurry take that into consideration. If its the same rate tracker for both then I don't see any pros or cons for either in terms of the offer itself as its guaranteed to be the same?

I have moved away from BOI to go to Ulster because
1) BOI service did not meet my expectations
2) BOI overcharging & banking fees

No complaint so far with Ulster.

This only reflects my own experience..

Bank of Ireland have recently abolished banking fees for those who use theri 365 phone or internet banking services to make three transactions per quarter and keep a balance of 500 euro in your account.

Having said all that I'm with Permanent TSB with my mortgage BOI for everyday banking.

thejuggler said:
Bank of Ireland have recently abolished banking fees for those who use theri 365 phone or internet banking services to make three transactions per quarter and keep a balance of 500 euro in your account.

Plus you need to ring them to register for this !!!

If your balance goes below 500 euro at anytime during the quarter all fees will apply.

don't have any experience with UB, but my first mortgage was with BoI, I changed there in the last few months and i had several problems with them. There were very quike to give us approval, but from then on therewas loads of niggle bits...because we got our mortgage with the local BoI at home, if we needed to sign any document or get anything changed, you have to go back to the bank you originally got it from, even though you don't live there anymore. I found it very time consuming and some of the trips ended up being a waste and had to go back down again another day..even for mortgage queries you are sent back to your local bank.
I also had another issue on there charging..but thats another issue. I think they over charged, but they don't think they have..when i have more time i'll look into that.

which is cheaper ?
Ulster bank are very unprofessional ,
they have taken on way more mortgages than they have staff
to deal with , ie they lost all of out documents , offer a discount on their
tracker by having a 9 euro a month 'no fees' account but sneak in hidden charges like 6 euro to set up a direct debit + another 6 to change one, check book charges + various other charges even though it is supposed to be a free account !!
Trackers are best value of course so calc the difference in price
if there is not much go with BOI

I found Ulster Bank great and they were cheaper. The UFirst account option gives you .1% discount on your mortgage. UFirst account is €9 a month and depending on the amount of your mortgage this still gives you a discount. Work it out with one of the online calculators.
http://www.jeacle.ie/mortgage/ie/

For me it was worthwhile to go with the UFirst option. You don't have to use the UFirst bank account for anything else if you don't want to.

As a single buyer I first went to BOI, and was not impressed with their service. From anyone I've talked to seems joint buyers are treated much fairer with BOI. However, I also think service differs from branch to branch.

I also have a ufirst bank acc with ulster bank. Booked aweekend for forty people to play golf in wexford ( 20 rooms). Week befour i rang hotel to confirm numbers, said they had no record of booking.Got on to the bank as i had paid deposit with laser card. They confirmed date time transaction had gone thru, said she would get on to the hotel and sort it out. Hotel rang back an hour later all apoliges and ended up giveing us 15% discount on total bill. So i say with ulster bank its ufirst.

Back