UK pension

A

Andygal1

I moved to Ireland in 2004 from the Uk. HM Revenue advised me I have 21 qualifying years of contributions and to qualify for the full basic State Pension I only require to have 30 qualifying years. Does anyone know if this is the same situation in Ireland? Would I only have to pay another 9 years in Ireland to qualify for the full basic state pension?

I'm in a very similar situation to you - and I have been meaning to find out a bit more about pension entitlement from the UK myself. Your question has prompted me to find out a few things.
21 years would get you 21/30ths of your pension - lets say 66% roughly. If you are paying PRSI here - you will eventually claim your pension here but the Irish pension people will (should) contact the UK pension people and get your UK pension paid to you. You may also be entitled to an Irish pension (part of one) based on your Irish PRSI contributions.
It looks like you can also choose to top up your UK NI contributions by paying about £8 a week Class 3 contributions for the missing 9 years
see
This would get you a full UK pension - but would cost you a bit. But £8 a week to get an extra 50% on your pension sounds OK. I suppose it depends how long you live!
I think I'd better get in touch with the UK pensions people and start paying my top up. I have about 20 years NI payments.
More here : http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/ipc/faqs.asp
I'd be interested to know if you find out any more .

Here is the response I received from Welfare.ie-

Contributions paid by you in the U.K. will stand to you towards
a U.K. pension. Any queries you may have regarding U.K. pension
qualification should be addressed to -

Pensions and Overseas Benefits Directorate
Tyneview Park, Whitley Road,
Benton
Newcastle upon Tyne NE98 1BA
England.

Direct Lines (0191) 218 3889
(0191) 218 3894.

Contributions paid by you in Ireland will stand towards an Irish
pension.

You can request a copy of your Irish Contribution Record from our
Records Section in Gandon House at any stage.

Back