UK Pension Question

WarrenBuffet

Hi,

I worked in the UK for 16 months (starting Sept 2003). I got a letter recently off HM Revenue and Customs about my UK state pension - the gist of it is:

Your national insurance contribution record for April 2005 to April 2006 shows you have a shortfall for that year......................The purpose of this letter is to let you know that you do not have the minimum amount of contributions to make the 2005/06 tax year count as a qualifying year towards your basic state pension......................Our records show that your contributions in 2005/06 fell short by 52 weeks. You will need to pay contributions of £382 to make 2005/06 count as a qualifying year towards your basic state pension...............Out records show that you have 5 qualifying of contributions up to April 2005

What does all of the above mean?
  • How can i have made 5 years of contributions as of April 2005 if i only worked in the UK for 16 months starting in Sept 2003????
  • Does this mean if i pay £382 each year for the rest of my days i will get both a uk and irish state pension?
Any help on this would be appreciated!

Thanks
WB

Back