UK and Irish driving licences held simultaneously

Status
Not open for further replies.

ATC110

Is it legal to hold an Irish driving licence and separately/independently apply for a UK licence, which would involve sitting the driving test et al?

I understand it was not legal under EU law but what about now the UK has left the EU?

Thanks in advance for any details on this also if you could provide any relevant links.

You must be a UK resident to apply for or renew a UK license.

If you do get one, some countries will not consider it valid if you are not a UK resident.

If you do get one, some countries will not consider it valid if you are not a UK resident.
It's for someone who has a residence in NI, spends significant time there and drives a UK registered vehicle when there.

They are tax resident in ROI.

Are you sure about that?
I can't find anything that stipulates that as a requirement.

This: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/driving-in-the-eu-after-brexit/

C4ED8437-5796-4904-A7A7-132524EA1117.jpeg

Last edited:
Are you sure about that?
Unlike here where it's voluntary, there's a requirement in the UK that you must change your license when you change address. The process in NI is slightly different to the rest of the UK, their guide is here. They only accesp UK/ NI addresses.

Unlike here where it's voluntary, there's a requirement in the UK that you must change your license when you change address. The process in NI is slightly different to the rest of the UK, their guide is here. They only accesp UK/ NI addresses.
If you have a NI residential address is it possible to apply for a NI/UK driving test and hold a NI/UK driving licence and retain a ROI/EU driving licence?

My understanding is you can have driving licences for two or more countries once you have passed the test in those countries. The issue with only being 'allowed one license' is when you transfer you license to another country. Ie You cannot have an Irish license, hand it in to get a UK license, go back to Ireland and get a new Irish license while keeping the UK license.

You can't hold two EU licences simultaneously. There is slow but effective automatic data sharing on this within the EU.

Since Brexit that automatic data sharing has stopped. I don't know what (if any) bilateral arrangements are in place.

If you have a NI residential address is it possible to apply for a NI/UK driving test and hold a NI/UK driving licence and retain a ROI/EU driving licence?

No. You must be permanently resident in NI, which you aren't.

Also, there is no apparent need. EU licenses continue to be valid in NI/GB. Permanent residents of NI/GB can exchange EU licenses for NI/GB licenses, but are not obliged to.

No. You must be permanently resident in NI, which you aren't.

Also, there is no apparent need. EU licenses continue to be valid in NI/GB. Permanent residents of NI/GB can exchange EU licenses for NI/GB licenses, but are not obliged to.
If you show up with a plan to be permanently resident on day 1 that would satisfy the test. Being tax resident and being permanently resident for something civil like insurance or driving licenses are two different things.

Assume you are NI resident and don't and have never had a UK license. From what I can tell you can apply to sit a test and qualify for a UK license the normal way.

There is no process anymore for the UK to check whether an applicant already holds an EU license.

It seems like a lot of effort and as @Leo says the only benefit would be to avoid penalty points.

I realise this and it wasn't my question
True, so if you are a full time resident in the UK you can of course apply for a UK license.

There is no requirement to update an address on an Irish license, but you must be resident to renew one.

You'd need to ensure your insurance company are clear on which you are considering current.

People should also be aware that there a customs penalties for the illegal importation of a car from a third country as well. A resident of the EU cannot drive a car registered in an third country across an EU border without importing it... A resident of the Republic can drive their own car across the border and use it no problem, you can drive a car registered in a NI, in NI provided you meet the legal requirements. But not across a border...

People should also be aware that there a customs penalties for the illegal importation of a car from a third country as well. A resident of the EU cannot drive a car registered in an third country across an EU border without importing it... A resident of the Republic can drive their own car across the border and use it no problem, you can drive a car registered in a NI, in NI provided you meet the legal requirements. But not across a border...
Does this mean that someone who is tax resident in ROI, but owns and keeps a vehicle in NI, cannot drive the NI registered vehicle in ROI?

If so, I'm not aware of this and think it would be difficult to enforce.

If you show up with a plan to be permanently resident on day 1 that would satisfy the test. Being tax resident and being permanently resident for something civil like insurance or driving licenses are two different things.
Could you elaborate on this @lomber? Thanks in advance

You can't hold two EU licences simultaneously. There is slow but effective automatic data sharing on this within the EU.

Since Brexit that automatic data sharing has stopped. I don't know what (if any) bilateral arrangements are in place.
Hi, I may be wrong, but I think I read an article only last week (it had to be in The Independent or Irish Times online) which talked about further co-operation between the UK and Ireland on data sharing regarding points, driving, etc. I looked for the article but couldn't find it now.
While you may be right, why would Brexit have any relevance to data sharing between Ireland and the UK, why would they not continue on as before? I think the UK (all of UK, not just NI) and Ireland still have a huge amount of co-operation, especially on legal / policing matters. The only major obvious change is in relation to customs / good movement, while I'm sure they're are more, my point is, why should things like, points, data sharing, etc. change because of Brexit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back