Typical Irish begrudgery

jackswift

I was recently looking at secondhand Mercedes cars as I was thinking of getting one, when I mentioned it to my neighbour he said that a good friend of his bought a 2016 Mercedes a few years ago and that he told him that he was embarrassed when driving it. I could be taking him up wrong but to me this sounds like a typical case of begrudgery, I don’t get it as to how it bothers anyone what car anyone drives.

I was recently looking at secondhand Mercedes cars as I was thinking of getting one, when I mentioned it to my neighbour he said that a good friend of his bought a 2016 Mercedes a few years ago and that he told him that he was embarrassed when driving it. I could be taking him up wrong but to me this sounds like a typical case of begrudgery, I don’t get it as to how it bothers anyone what car anyone drives.
It fits in with the narrative that anyone with money must be crooked or have some inherited wealth rather than just being clever and hard working. If you can afford a Merc, even a secondhand one, then you are one of "the rich" and "the rich" are the source of all the countries problems.

Get with the message will you!

From what you've said it sounds like the driver himself was embarassed with his purchase. That would be rather untypical of the perceptions of luxury German car drivers.

Sure look, "it's your money", is my attitude. Cars are a woeful divestment, but you gotta get from A to B, and a bit of comfort and style is no sin .... I said a bit... :p I'm currently driving a 13 yr old non-premium German car, so I'm "underselling" myself, but it goes well with the auld béal bocht...;)

From what you've said it sounds like the driver himself was embarassed with his purchase. That would be rather untypical of the perceptions of luxury German car drivers.
That is a good example of begrudgery though isn't it; if you drive a nice car you must be an ass.

I'm a bit surprised that someone would be embarrassed driving a Mercedes car, they are fairly common now and bmws are actually ubiquitous. It's not like 25 years ago, Mercedes has lost its cache now unless its a monster SUV which seem to be de rigueur now. Probably you would need to be driving a tesla before people would get jealous, that would be a bit ostentatious.

I'm a bit surprised that someone would be embarrassed driving a Mercedes car, they are fairly common now and bmws are actually ubiquitous. It's not like 25 years ago, Mercedes has lost its cache now unless its a monster SUV which seem to be de rigueur now. Probably you would need to be driving a tesla before people would get jealous, that would be a bit ostentatious.
It’s a 132 E220 for €13.5k not top of the range 2020 €130k merc, hardly worth the begrugery, I’ve seen young lads driving them with N to plates.

Yep. I won't name names. But this year I decided to go to a non dealer. €1,100 :oops: Admittedly 4 new tyres. On the bright side, it's going as well as ever with getting on 200k km on the clock. Being a diesel of course makes one a shame figure these days which outweighs the caché of being a Merc driver:)
Jaysus, I spend more than that on a Mazda 6 and that’s doing servicing myself and the rest with an independent mechanic that doesn’t over charge.

he said that a good friend of his bought a 2016 Mercedes a few years ago and that he told him that he was embarrassed when driving it. I could be taking him up wrong but to me this sounds like a typical case of begrudgery,
I don't see anything begrudging in what's quoted here. I see typical Irish rumour-mongering by repeating third-hand coversations as fact, the ancient "dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi" behaviours. I also hear about a Mercedes driver who sounds insecure about driving a nice car and perhaps worrying about what people are saying about him behind his back. Begrudgery? No sign of it in the original post, just suspicions and other "stuff".

I don't see anything begrudging in what's quoted here. I see typical Irish rumour-mongering by repeating third-hand coversations as fact, the ancient "dúirt bean liom go ndúirt bean léi" behaviours. I also hear about a Mercedes driver who sounds insecure about driving a nice car and perhaps worrying about what people are saying about him behind his back. Begrudgery? No sign of it in the original post, just suspicions and other "stuff".
The begrudger is the neighbour I was telling that I was looking at a Mercedes, he pricked up his ears and made up a silly story about someone he knows about how you’d be a go shore to buy or drive a Mercedes.

Back