Trying to be proactive regarding mortgage and debts

Update.

Got the letter yesterday from PTSB saying they are going to give me a 3 month moratorium happy days.

Now gotta put the head down and clear as much debt as possible.

Only sting is when the mortgage restarts it goes up to 1348 ouch

I never understood your figures above and would reiterate the need to double check that you are claiming mortgage interest tax relief/TRS. A friend of mine had financial problems and I realised early on that they had never claimed this so the €1.5K backdated lump sum for one year and ongoing relief from then on made a big difference to the overall financial situation.

Had a look at revenue website but cannot see how it is calculated i know that the payment is approx 38 euro per month, does that figure increse or decrease?

Also should it change when you get married or stay at the single persons rate as there is only one borrower on the mortgage loan

I have no idea where the €38 figure comes from. It seems very low though. I have outlined my tentative calculations above. You need to make sure that you are claiming this and getting the appropriate amount. Maybe if you can post clearer details of the figures - e.g. from your mortgage and bank statements somebody might be able to figure it out? Or ask the bank what the capital/interest split is and how much TRS you are getting.

I don't know if you can claim the married TRS rate once you get married or if you need to put your spouse on the house deeds (unlikely) and/or mortgage deeds? I would have expected this to be clarified on the Revenue website.

Back