Trip of lifetime - where do you recommend?

We did the Vancouver / Alaska trip earlier this year, cost around 3k each. fly BA to Vancouver and then booked Celebrity Cruises for the cruise. we could have got it cheaper but opted for a balcony on the cruise ship which was well worth it for the extra cost.

Sounds wonderful. We too would want a balcony. I was on a cruise previously (Princess Cruises) and enjoyed it immensely, and part of the reason for the enjoyment was the wonderful spacious balcony. It's worth the extra cost. Did you go via Heathrow? What duration was the cruise? Good cruiseline (Celebrity)??
Thank you.

In September we flew to Seattle, joined Royal Caribbean to sail The Inside Passage in Alasksa (absolutely wonderful scenery and wildlife) then onto Vancouver.Where we sadly returned home but the ship then continues on to Hawaii and Australia. Alaska surpassed all my expectations would love to return and do the whole journey. Best of luck with your trip.

Thanks TaraRya. What in particular did you enjoy? Scenery? Wildlife? We are animal lovers and are hoping to get to see plenty of wildlife, but I do understand (of course) that there are no guarantees. I'd like to think there's more than an even chance of seeing the animals though. Did you find it restful, or was it an activity type of holiday? Did you stop off in many spots overnight?

You can see a lot of wildlife in Alaska without doing a cruise...

We flew into Anchorage did a day there, then went down to Seward where we did a day cruise..saw a lot of animals including killer whales...after that we did a couple of days in the mountains up in Girdwood before heading back to Anchorage.

Yes we missed out on Juneau but between the cruise, driving around and a wildlife sanctuary we saw a whole load, while having the freedom and independence we wouldn't have had on a cruise.

We're thinking of going to Canada and Alaska on honeymoon next August/September. Would you recommend just seeing the western side of Canada (i.e. Vancouver, Rockies etc) and doing the Alaskan cruise?

It sounds like just doing the above will blow the budget as it is and we don't want to spend all of our time travelling around...

Back