Travertine Tiles

Con

Just wondering what people think of a cream travertine tile in a kitchen as far as wear and tear is concerned. The salesman told me that they may stain slightly over the years. Anybody have this experience.

Hi Con,

previous threads would appear to have references to travertine tiles and therefore might be of some help.

Thanks Sueellen, but when I click on the link I get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms" which is the same message I got when I did a search on travertine.

We have Travertine Beige tiles in our kitchen & hall and haven't had any problems todate. We haven't got around to sealing them yet which I'm sure will help with stains but so far coffee stains from cups in the dishwasher have all come out. Right Price Tiles have a great offer of €30 & €40 per sq yd for travertine in their frequent half price sales.

Thanks Leo, that link works...

Lorz, thats exactly what I wanted to hear, and I have seen them in a 1/2 price sale in a shop too for 26 per sqaure yard

Can someone point out the benefit of travertine tiles to me? I can see they look good but they also come with a lot more problems than say porcelain tiles (i.e. they chip and are porous and may stain easily) and are also a hell of a lot more expensive. So apart from the looks is there any other reason why they are so popular?

We did have problems with chipping but only when laying the tiles and transporting them (Tip be sure to get the tile shop to deliver) As for staining - we haven't sealed them yet and so we had a few coffee stains by the dishwasher from cups being turned upside down in same and a few tea bag stains by the bin which TBH I didn't think would come out at all but they did and with very little elbow grease! We will be sealing them soon (sealant can be quite expensive) and I don't expect any problems thereafter. Like most of the interior we chose them because of their aesthetics!

Has anybody priced them in Spain?is there much of a difference?also what are tillers charging ?

Hi Alri, plenty of other threads on tiler charges here already. also, a little here on importing tiles.
Leo

We have travertine (honed) in the kitchen for a tear and a few monthes now - they are a pain in the @rse to clean. They look fantastic but if I had my time again I probably wouldnt put them down.