Marble Floor Tiles - Importing

Wolverine

Hi,

I've been at some mags & recent Showhouse series and have liked the idea of Marble floor tiles.

The average Prices Per m/2 are anywhere between € 120 - € 160 upwards.
Does this seem pretty expensive.

The internet seems to be full of websites offering lovely marble tiles at a way cheaper price.
Have a look at ebay for example

[broken link removed]

This for 25 euro per m/2

[broken link removed]

My question is - has anyone imported Tiles from abroad ?
Anyone done it and not happy with the final product ?
Anyone got any good website for marble Tiles at reasonable prices ?

Thanx,
Wolverine.

Although I did not import, I just got some very nice italian marble down in tile style near the Point Depot, it was ~110Euro per sqm. And for every 100 euro you spend you get a 50Euro voucher for Brown Thomas. 900 Euro spent and then gave a 450Euro voucher to the girlfriend to keep me in the good books for a while :)

This was the one :
[broken link removed]

Hi DarraghDog,

How much did it cost you to get the tiles layed ?
I've been told that it's about 40€ pm2 or yrd 2. seems a bit expensive..

I'm still looking closer at importing marble tiles from spain.

Has anyone else done this ?

Regards,
Wolverine.

Wolverine,
I live about twenty miles from the Travertine quarry, and in my opinion the tiles on ebay have nothing to do with travertine. They look like imports from the Far East to me.
According to my husband travertine tiles cost about €20 per sq.m. locally.
Obviously there are different types of travertine - some of which are not easy to find nowadays.

I'd be very careful buying anything like this on EBay, especially from someone who doesn't have ~100% feedback from hundreds. I'd imagine the delivery charges are going to be high, if the seller is even willing to do international shipping.

What happens if they arrive and you don't like the look or quality of them? Chances are you're going to have to ship them back at your expense, and that's if the seller is willing to take them.

There's a lot of crap being sold on EBay, much of it portrayed as a higer quality product.
Leo

Hi Guys - thanks for the input.

I'm not really talking about ordering from ebay.

I've gotton quotes in ireland.
65 mtrs sq of crema maril polished Commercial 60x60x2 for 118 euro per box, a box containing 1.08 mtr sq.

that's about 7000 euro. To me a total rip-off.

I'm talking of taking a flight to madrid or alicante and looking at the tiles / getting prices before buying.

www.Alicantestone.com
or
[broken link removed]

any google search shows up spanish shops / businesses selling them at anywhere between 20 - 45 euro per metre squared depending on tile size, and they appear to be the same as the stuff being sold here.

I would get it delivered by a truck courrier.

----------------------------------------------------------

Hi Alba Longa,

20 euro is 5 times cheaper than what I'm being quoted.

Am I taking you up wrong - are you living in spain ?
Would you by any chance have any names / websites of local shops / suppliers ?

Thanks Again,
Wolverine.

Hi Wolverine,

I just renovated a house and imported all the Travertine marble for the bathroom and kithen from 100% stone on ebay. It was all good quality stuff and only cost £90 for shipping. According to the tiler who was laying them for me, the same items cost in excess of €150 sq yard here. I got them for €30 square meter!

You could have a look at the following to start: [broken link removed], [broken link removed] or [broken link removed]. They are in English as well as Italian. I'll try and find a few suitable shops next week.

has anyone else did this i was loooking at the greek marble website but when i called them they said they would also have to add on the vat to the price if they were been delivered to Ireland?Also heard there was a courier in Galway who brought this type of marble back in bulk anyone heard of them?

Back