Travelling to Dublin Airport if living outside Dublin

asdfg

I live outside County Dublin. I am due to fly out from Dublin Airport next Saturday.

Can I go to airport
Can I get someone, a friend to drop me at the airport

It's not clear if your flight is for tourism or essential reasons (work, family situation).

Technically leaving your county for non-essential reasons is a breach of the regulations.

But either way, Gardai have no powers (as of time of writing this) to stop you or fine you from continuing on your journey to the airport or in the airport. However you may encounter checkpoints along the way which delay you considerably.

I live outside County Dublin. I am due to fly out from Dublin Airport next Saturday.

Can I go to airport
Can I get someone, a friend to drop me at the airport
I assume you know the rules on flying so no need to comment on that.
As to your question, I think that would be considered a necessary journey as they are dropping you at the airport for a necessary flight.

If you happen to pass by the garda checkpoint near where I live you will not even be stopped. They do not stop anyone.

Why do you say the flight is necessary? The OP hasn't commented on its necessity?
I said "I assume you know the rules on flying so no need to comment on that." I worked on the assumption the OP wasn't an idiot. I usually do that until proven otherwise.

Ah - I see. Sorry. Begs the question what the working assumption regarding me will be in the future :)

Last edited:
I have a small holiday apartment in Spain and i have received a complaint from a neighbour in the apartment below me about a leak into his apartment from my apartment above.I have booked a flight for myself only on 8th of November to Alicante in order to sort this out.I have just one small,simple question.Does any one know if this would be classed as an essential reason to travel.?I can get him to send me photos of the leak and carry them with me to show to officials at the airport etc..Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks. I wonder how did asdfg fare out?P.S.I intend to be extra carefull re all the Covid rules

I have a small holiday apartment in Spain and i have received a complaint from a neighbour in the apartment below me about a leak into his apartment from my apartment above.I have booked a flight for myself only on 8th of November to Alicante in order to sort this out.I have just one small,simple question.Does any one know if this would be classed as an essential reason to travel.?I can get him to send me photos of the leak and carry them with me to show to officials at the airport etc..Any advice would be much appreciated.Thanks. I wonder how did asdfg fare out?P.S.I intend to be extra carefull re all the Covid rules

It sounds essential but when I scanned gov.ie site I couldn't find anything solid to back that up. There may be more clarity in the coming days when the details of the statutory instrument to back up Level 5 is published.
Just be aware of need to isolate on your return.

Can you not just hire a local plumber?
Have you no insurance?

Thanks anyway Purple,but this is completely unhelpfull and does not remotely answer my simple question.! odessey06 thank you for your kind and helpfull reply.Yes indeed i am geared up for the isolation on return.Looks like the airport covid testing will come into play eventually,but perhaps not for a cuple of months yet and and when it does hopefully it will eliminate the need to isolate.

Last edited:
Thanks anyway Purple,but this is completely unhelpfull and does not remotely answer my simple question.!
Sure, but it sounds like you are making a totally unnecessary journey to sort something out which could be fixed locally at a lower cost and a lower risk. In that context it's hardly a necessary journey. It would be like me flying to London to change the tyre on a friends car rather than then calling the AA.

I returned from France last Friday after 3 months. I have since received 2 texts from GOV.ie reminding me of my obligations. This morning I received a phone call from a person announcing that they work in the COVID department, or something like that. My immediate reaction was "oh no, this is contact tracing". But no it was just to remind me once again of my obligations.
Whilst I am on the subject the flight was the most pleasant such experience I have encountered. 59 seats taken and 100 empty seats. No queuing. Flight from Marseilles 20 minutes early at 2 hours, obviously no congestion in the airspace either. And the prices were €15 per seat right up until the last minute. In fact to avoid public transport I hired a car to go to the airport, that cost me €200 :rolleyes:

I returned from France last Friday after 3 months. I have since received 2 texts from GOV.ie reminding me of my obligations. This morning I received a phone call from a person announcing that they work in the COVID department, or something like that. My immediate reaction was "oh no, this is contact tracing". But no it was just to remind me once again of my obligations.
Whilst I am on the subject the flight was the most pleasant such experience I have encountered. 59 seats taken and 100 empty seats. No queuing. Flight from Marseilles 20 minutes early at 2 hours, obviously no congestion in the airspace either. And the prices were €15 per seat right up until the last minute. In fact to avoid public transport I hired a car to go to the airport, that cost me €200 :rolleyes:
Are you saying that there are now Aer Lingus flights that aren't running out of sandwitches before they get to the back of the plane?! :eek:

Well I hope your French estates are now in order with your staff fully briefed so you can winter in your Irish Estates in peace.

Back