Travel Gift

Marco 1972

Any advice appreciated......

Looking to book a holiday abroad (Europe) as a surprise gift for a couple as an anniversary gift, I have been deputised as it were by the family.

just enquiring if it is possible to put dwn a booking deposit now and at least be able to hand a gift envelope over on their big day.

any tour operators giving a bit of lee way on this....

l am worried l would have to commit to dates, full amount etc at this stage,

anyone in a similar situation ?

I am not sure that everyone would appreciate a gift of a holiday abroad at the moment. I certainly wouldn't.

You have no idea when it will be over nor how comfortable people will be about traveling, being the first to try the new vaccine etc...

Fire up a graphics pr0gram and make a gift certificate of your own. That way there is nothing to lose.

Last edited:
I would be very reluctant to put a deposit down now for something that may not happen for some time.

It’s a nice idea but not practical.

Cheers...
thanks for the idea of DIY gift card....

may enquire if the likes of trailfinders are doing something equivalent not that it was suggested.....

I think there’s far too much uncertainty around to be putting down money with anyone for a trip.

Some people may remain uneasy about travelling for quite a while.

Many travel agents will go bust.

Yes there is IATA bonding, but can they cover mass bankruptcies.

There’ll be all sort of messing with vouchers etc.

I suspect that flights will be cancelled/moved around a hell of a lot during the recovery period.

I genuinely think it’s a terrible idea; literally one of the least sensible purchases right now.

Will be interesting to see how the industry get out of this Covid hole and the multiple scenarios like mine that they will have to deal with,,,

I agree with a DIY voucher. There's no way I'd hand over a cent to a travel company at present. Of course the promise of a holiday wouldn't be much of a gift given they may never get going, so if it were me/my family, I'd have a rethink.

I also agree with the DIY voucher approach. How many travel providers will go out of business and even if bonded, would they appreciate the pain that will be involved chasing a refund?

Back