Transport for London Charges

random2011

I recently travelled on the Heathrow Express in London. I bought a return ticket using my works corporate AMEX card. However when i returned from the trip I noticed a 25 pound charge on my personal bank card. I contacted TFL who advised me to create an account in their system and register for contactless payments so they could investigate the charge. I subsequently registered and sure enough I found the 25 pound charge. The contactless service allows TFL to recover charges where travellers have not scanned their tickets on their way in and out of the London underground and Heathrow Express. Now I was compliant in terms of payment and checking in and out using my online ticket but what is baffling is TFL were able to scan a bank card in my wallet and put this charge to the card. I never registered this bank card with TFL in the past. It is a new card in fact and again I use my AMEX to pay for tickets when traveling with work. I will be refunded but I thought it strange that a company could without my knowledge scan my bank card from my wallet and hit it with charges without my consent. Anyone travelling with TFL may want to scan their transaction history to ensure they are not been hit and not even knowing.

I don't understand what happened. When you say they scanned your personal bank card from your wallet are you talking about a contactless tap?

I don't understand what happened. When you say they scanned your personal bank card from your wallet are you talking about a contactless tap?
I didnt tap it. The card was in my wallet. I had no reason to use it as i had my ticket purchased. For some unknown reason TFL scanned my card at some point in the journey (likely on my way out of the Tube). Surely this is illegal.

While it sounds like it was accidental it is still a 'Wow'. I often keep tickets in my wallet and take the ticket out at the barrier and tap it so this is an eye-opener to keep both well apart.

It's a very common occurence where people have an Oyster Card in their wallet as well as a debit/credit card.

It's a very common occurence where people have an Oyster Card in their wallet as well as a debit/credit card.
I had a ticket for a one way journey as I dont use the underground often I was not registered nor was my card. I would understand if i was registered with TFL and had my bank card registered to my account. I just dont get how a company without my consent can hit my card especially when I didnt do anythig wrong. I tapped my card in and out. I had a receipt also.

I just dont get how a company without my consent can hit my card especially when I didnt do anythig wrong.
Proximity of your card to the scanner is implied consent. TFL can't be getting signed contracts for hundreds of millions of journeys taken every year!

Another poster has pointed out that it was accidental and how to get a refund.

I had a ticket for a one way journey as I dont use the underground often I was not registered nor was my card. I would understand if i was registered with TFL and had my bank card registered to my account. I just dont get how a company without my consent can hit my card especially when I didnt do anythig wrong. I tapped my card in and out. I had a receipt also.
There is no requirement to register your card. if you do you get extra benefits but you don't have to.

Back