Trampolines and safety

Is there a reason why you didn't post the number of cases of trampoline injuries relative to other causes?

Yes - because it wasn't mentioned in the extract I've seen (not sure if it's in the full report, which doesn't seem to be available online). A pity, as this kind of stuff really needs some hard figures to counter the otherwise anecdotal nature of this kind of argument (on either side).

Yes - because it wasn't mentioned in the extract I've seen (not sure if it's in the full report, which doesn't seem to be available online). A pity, as this kind of stuff really needs some hard figures to counter the otherwise anecdotal nature of this kind of argument (on either side).

Then how can you say?

Fair enough, but the big difference that I see is the number of cases of trampoline injuries relative to other causes. ...

I saw one set up down the country and it was ingenious.....most injuries occur due to kids falling on the ground from a height so this guy had dug a hole into the ground in the shape of the trampoline and set it down into it...therefore if the kids were to fall off the side they had less height to fall from....simple but it works

I think trampolines are just as dangerous as heeleys. If you want to risk bringing your kids to A&E then buying either of these is a good way to go!IMO

Hi ckc123

Glad you are taking seriously the decision whether or not to buy a trampoline. For what it's worth, here's my two cents worth - firstly trampolines are great fun - in my opinion we parents attempt to make our children too safe for their own good. By not allowing them to take risks they never get the rewards ... when did you last see a child climbing a tree???

The real danger that I see with them is when multiple children of different weights use them at the same time - if you limit use to one at a time - or two similar weigh children then I don't see the problem. I think the idea of sinking the trampoline into the ground is a good one - at least then the kids won't hit off the enclosure - which I sometimes think is more dangerous than the trampoline.

Finally ckc123 if you do decide to go for a trampoline - get one big enough for adult use too ... why should kids have all the fun!

Got a very big trampouline as a Santa present for our youngest son who was 10/11 at the time.But it was intended more for our 2 teenagers to get them to take part in some form of exercise.As it is a huge trampouline adults , parents have got to use it as well. It is in view of our sitting room window which helps with supervising.Luck no visits to A/E so far.We have it 7/8 years.The novelty has worn off by now.The biggest danger if kids want to show off to new comers what they can do.I as parent have gone on the trampouline with my teenager,so I have been able to contol the activites.This trampouline is very stable.

Hi ckc123

. I think the idea of sinking the trampoline into the ground is a good one - at least then the kids won't hit off the enclosure - which I sometimes think is more dangerous than the trampoline.

Make sure you also make a hole in the centre as ankles can break if they hit solid ground .
I KNOW SOMEONE WHO DID THIS AND FORGOT ABOUT THE TRAMPOLINE BOTTOMING OUT.

Also i would suggest blocking off access to beneath the trampoline as smalleys often toddle in this hazardous area.

For those interested, Aldi will have a 10ft diameter trampoline and safety net for sale next Thursday (€200).

Until I read these posts I thought the trampoline was the best thing ever.Then again while getting a whiplash injury looked after by a physio she said the Trampoline was a great idea because it strenghtened all the joints making sprains less likely.I think the key is supervision,not too many at the same time,I still don't get how the enclosure is dangerous/causes harm....surely by keeping them from flying off,hitting something they are better off.

Hi - Not withstanding all the safety concerns which must be taken into consideration first - we got a mini digger in and sunk the trampoline inground, so the top is at the same level as surrounding area. It has been there for 5 years. Children are now 8 and 11 and spend time together every day on it. Fantastic for fitness and a bit of a laugh for me sometimes!

The problem is with adults using them. Recent kids party I attended, a father bounced out through the safety net. He needs shoulder surgery.

There is some specific trampoline available that are only made for kids. Size range 6-8ft is okay for kids.

Back