Trading in but to a lower value car

JamesN

Has anyone tried to trade in a car to a dealer for a lower or very similar value car and if so can you share your experience?

I have a car, probably worth around 6,500 as a private sale, and I have seen one at around 6,000 with a dealer that I am interested in. The dealer says they take trade ins.

I know selling my car privately and approaching the other one with the cash is going to be more financially advantageous but I also like the idea of the convenience of more or less driving in with one car and out with the other.

My current car is a 2015 car, low mileage and clean - popular car. The one I want is 2010 but more niche.

Surely either way, there is profit for the dealer and a deal can be struck? Has anyone done this?

What you can buy a car for will be less than what you can sell a car for; the dealer needs to eat.

Has anyone done this?

Yes... kinda...

I sold a car to a dealer but didn't buy a replacement.

It was to a main dealer. He offered an amount. It suited me. It suited him. Received a cheque there and then.

I actually did it twice. Two different main dealers. I had bought the cars from them originally.

Don't see why not.
Remember dealers will always go off 'book price' +% potential profit when buying.
Just don't expect to get the car and €500 in your pocket, but I would think a straight swap may be
available ( assuming your car is a desirable model) and an easy €1000 - €1500 overall profit for
the dealer upon the sale of your car.

Assuming the dealer is prepared to fund the cash flow - € 6,000 now for the outright purchase or € 6,000 some time down the road when he sells the trade-in

Assuming the dealer is prepared to fund the cash flow - € 6,000 now for the outright purchase or € 6,000 some time down the road when he sells the trade-in

It’s not really a cashflow issue though as the dealer is just swapping one car for another. And if it’s something more mainstream replacing something more nichey as outlined, it might be more easy to sell and therefore attractive to the dealer.

Nothing to do with cashflow, unless he is really on his 'uppers'. What would he do with the €6k ?
Only 'invest' it in another stock item to continue dealing.

Thanks all. As I mentioned, I know I would take a loss from it (as opposed to selling the car myself) but the convenience might suit me. Was in touch with the dealer and he said we can talk about it so I'm taking it that there is a deal there to be done.

Dealer will only ever offer a trade price on your car.
It may seem that they offer more, but that's built into the price of the new car.

Best way is to sell your car at auction (you'd be surprised at the price sometimes) and haggle a straight deal price for the new car. You'll probably get €500+ off

Don't see why not.
Remember dealers will always go off 'book price' +% potential profit when buying.
Just don't expect to get the car and €500 in your pocket, but I would think a straight swap may be
available ( assuming your car is a desirable model) and an easy €1000 - €1500 overall profit for
the dealer upon the sale of your car.
Any idea what is a typical book price vs the sale price % difference for a "mainstream" brand, e.g. in the 18- 25K, 3 years old, avg miles range?, e.g. if a car is advertised for 23K, what did the dealer pay forit?

Back