Top tips for Rome

retired, but not always free...

The technical rules are that you must be an EU citizen, or a citizen of a country that has a reciprocal agreement with the EU, to take advantage of the free or reduced rates for retirees. The US does not have such an agreement. The museum attendants are uneven in applying this rule. Last year I (a US citizen) got in free to the Campidoglio museums (well worth visiting - as is Michelangelo's plaza where they are located) but not to Castel Sant'Angelo.
The Pantheon and the Castel Ste Angelo are worth a visit.
If you are retired you can get free entrance to many of the sites.

Got married in Rome many years ago and would agree with all previous. If going as a couple definitely stay in the centre but we went back July last year with family of kids & teenagers. Most noticeable difference was the plethora of Asian hawkers on the streets.
Was difficult to keep together on busy footpaths. Although they enjoyed and benefited from it, we knew kids could not endure long days sightseeing so we had accom booked on outskirts of city at Crowne Plaza St. Peters. Not the most convenient of locations on the Via Aurelia Antica but it was modern with a/c and large outdoor pool so kids could have something to look forward to at end of day. Problem was when we got there we discovered the pool closed at 8pm. so only got to use it early morning of departure. Bus stop a short walk from hotel but limited choice of restaurants in neighbourhood. One memorable place worth a visit was the "Church of the Bones" off the Via Veneto and opposite the steps leading to St. Isidores , the Church of the Irish Franciscans. Probably a better and shorter alternative to the Catacombs. Joined a guided tour being assembled in St Peters Square by an American chap, got rapid access to and thro Vatican Museum/Sistine. Forget what we paid but it was worth it for the entertaining stories and tour. Similar at Colloseum.
As mentioned before beware pick pockets everywhere especially in buses and churches.

ney001, this might be worth watching, UTV Friday @ 22:40

Greatest Cities of the World with Griff Rhys Jones

The writer and actor returns to experience a day in the life of three more major cities, beginning with a visit to Rome to discover its traditions, history and secrets. He eats offal and milks goats in the style of a Roman peasant and visits a basilica that is home to nuns who spend their lives in complete silence. Griff learns how to direct traffic at one of the busiest road intersections in Europe and lands an audience with the mayor - who explains how to run the city without being assassinated

Thanks guys, but had to cancel weekend in Rome due to Ash :(

Will have to leave it for a while now

You could always do a London/Paris/Rome trip by train. I worked out before that I could leave my house in the morning and be in London by half three going by ferry/train. Leaving London on any given day after breakfast one can be in Paris by lunchtime. There is a sleeper train from Paris to Rome which leaves Paris late and arrives around 8AM in Rome. One could spend a full day in Rome (which is just enough to see the main sites) before getting the return sleeper to Paris. Em, I must do this.

Back