Too much speed can kill you?

More cars in one place more risk of driver error, less view of the road ahead and less ability to notice cyclists or pedestrians.

but sure, that could apply to driving in any urban area. and the m50!

I drive slow if the guy behind me is too close. it means that if there is an accident due to their negligent driving it will be slower and I'm less likely to be injured!

Maybe he had the spare wheel on, you know the tiny one you get with full sized cars.

i'm just stating fact and what the law is for people like me who are pulling trailers. what do you want me to do? break the law by speeding up or driving in the hard shoulder??( btw if you're driving in the hard shoulder and have an accident in there you're not insured) . Or would you prefer me to pull in and stop everytime a car comes up behind?

i don't see the point of this thread. just because a road has a speed limit of 100 does not mean you can always go that speed limit: you can't go that fast in fog, heavy rain, ice, heavy winds etc. you drive according to the conditions so if you happen to come across a slower car then that's just the conditions on that road at that time and it's up to you to adjust your driving to them accordingly.

if you're not in a place where you can overtake, then sit back, chill, relax. you're not travelling in a time machine, so driving faster is not going to get you there on time if you're already late. i really hope you're not the type of person who drives up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language of old people driving and puts the fear of god into them!

bb12 - i'm not talking trucks or cars pulling trailers + i've mentioned all the conditions that would naturally cause lowered speed and increased caution. what i'm talking about is people on the road who are not supposed to be there - slow drivers literally afraid to drive faster - once again, they are not supposed to be out there on the road, my experience is "sunday drivers" and L drivers - and sure enough, L drivers should be banned forever -i'll never understand how come such system came to existence and have never seen anything to compare it with elsewhere in europe - most people abroad just shake their heads when you tell them over here you can simply get into the car and on the road without any driving lessons ...
that said, i don't drive up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language of such people - they panic easily and can start braking or behaving irrationally and then both, them and me are screwed ... i'd rather wait, keep my distance and overtake when safe ... maybe that's the reason driving behind such drivers drives me crazy as well - i'm waiting for the road to clear and be safe for such maneuver ...

Last edited:
bb12 - i'm not talking trucks or cars pulling trailers + i've mentioned all the conditions that would naturally cause lowered speed and increased caution. what i'm talking about is people on the road who are not supposed to be there - slow drivers literally afraid to drive faster - once again, they are not supposed to be out there on the road, my experience is "sunday drivers" and L drivers - and sure enough, L drivers should be banned forever -i'll never understand how come such system came to existence and have never seen anything to compare it with elsewhere in europe - most people abroad just shake their heads when you tell them over here you can simply get into the car and on the road without any driving lessons ...
that said, i don't drive up the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language of such people - they panic easily and can start braking or behaving irrationally and then both, them and me are screwed ... i'd rather wait, keep my distance and overtake when safe ... maybe that's the reason driving behind such drivers drives me crazy as well - i'm waiting for the road to clear and be safe for such maneuver ...

Are the people driving who are driving too slowly for you provsional drivers, do they have L plates up? How do you know the person is a "sunday driver", is it stamped on their number plate? If these people are driving in the dark it must be early in the morning or late at night, surely this is not "sunday driver time"?

Are the people driving who are driving too slowly for you provsional drivers, do they have L plates up? How do you know the person is a "sunday driver", is it stamped on their number plate? If these people are driving in the dark it must be early in the morning or late at night, surely this is not "sunday driver time"?
batty, i don't give a damn about what they are - all i care about is they are not supposed to be on the road if they aren't capable of driving faster than 60 km/h ...

batty, i don't give a damn about what they are - all i care about is they are not supposed to be on the road if they aren't capable of driving faster than 60 km/h ...
\\

Only mentioned it because you brought it up in a previous post. How do you know these drivers are not capable of driving faster than 60 km/h, maybe they can but choose not to? For all the reasons mentioned by previous posters i.e poor driving conditions?

I narrowly missed being part of a 5 car pile up (with my 3 week old car!) on the N7 a couple of weeks back coming home from work. Someone was looking down on me that day and I missed it by inches.

Since then, I have been mindful of keeping a safe distance between me and the car in front. However, some people see that as a gap that they can overtake into, so I am in more danger than before. Every day some idiot waits till the last minute and darts into the space so there is no gap between me and the car in front (them) at all.

After my near miss, I would rethink my stopping distance if I were you. I would leave more than 2 seconds. There is nothing worse than those couple of seconds when you brace for impact

well, its haminka1's judgement versus the judegment of the primera driver, but given that there was a queue behind the primera, I'd say on balance, the chances are the primera driver was too slow for the conditions.

Next time you are stuck behind these slow drivers, watch what they do when they come to a 50km speed limit. Nothing. They'll chug away at 60, as oblivious to the limit as they are to the 11 cars behind them.

\\

Only mentioned it because you brought it up in a previous post. How do you know these drivers are not capable of driving faster than 60 km/h, maybe they can but choose not to? For all the reasons mentioned by previous posters i.e poor driving conditions?

batty, a well lit road with no rain, no surface water, no wind, no ice, no fog with an outside temperature of cca 8 degrees is normal driving conditions for me ...

Back