Toilet doors and hygiene

baldyman27

This has bugged me for years. You know when you're out in a pub or restaurant, visit the toilet, do your business, wash your hands (making sure to depress the tap with your elbow), dry your hands (preferably with paper towels), then turn around to find that the door opens IN so you have to grab what is surely a filthy doorhandle in order to get out.

Fair enough in a busy pub you can just wait a few seconds and someone else is bound to come along, allowing you to keep the door open with your foot. Or you can (as I do) open the door with your little finger, but still, you're touching it. It really bugs me, what would be wrong with a door that swings out that you could just push with your foot? You go to all the trouble of washing and drying to have it all undone.

I know that you are still accepting change, leaning on the bar and myriad other things that are all probably just as unhygienic but this a psychologically tough one that could be easily remedied.

I see your point but what about shaking hands with people and opening other doors, etc all day - it would drive you crazy if you got hung up about it.

You probably have a point but I don't really think about it.

What about the inside/outside door of the cubicle itself, the table tops in the bar, the glasses you drink out of, the menus you handle...it's endless really.

Its just that this would be such an easy one to fix, just hang the hinges the other way! I know one could get hung up about things if one thought too much about it but this one really gets me. Maybe its slightly different in the men's. I mean (don't want to get too graphic), drunk guy comes in, obviously has to have physical contact with something I don't particularly want to have contact with, doesn't wash his hands, then opens the door. I then have to grab that exact same handle.

You need to dry your hands with some toliet roll and use this to open the door and then throw it behind the door as you leave. You'll notice every now and again there will be a pile of toilet roll behind a door - that's like minded people.

If no toilet roll is available you need to try get your foot up to pull the door open. I've been doing this for years.

Getting old now and it's getting harder to get that leg up but I will never open a door with my hand. I had to wait in a pub toilet for 20 minutes one night for someone to come in and open the door for me.

Spread the word.

I do a variation on Hamslicers theme, use a hand tissue provided to dry hands and hold on to it for opening door, if the basket isn't situated close to the door I bring it with me and deposit it in the nearest one outside. If there aren't disposable hand towels I pull the bottom of my sleeve down and use it over my hand to open door.

I have never seen someone open the door with toilet role, ye are starting to sound like wacko jacko! How would ye get out of the conundrum - old friend you haven't seen in years is clearly drunk and tries to shake your hand while doing his business I think baldyman might actually collapse! There is no escaping germs I wouldn't let them run my life.

For safety reasons, the exit doors are supposed to push open, as opposed to pull. If there is a fire or some other emergency, you are not supposed to pull the exit doors, but rather push them out.

Same goes for bathroom doors, them being an exit out into the building in question.

I'm starting to think I'm a freak now! Think I'll just adopt the toilet roll approach.

My immune system handles most of the above situations.

Consider if someone farts, and you smell it, that you are inhaling what was a few minutes ago inside their rectum. Minute particles sticking to your nostril hairs and inside your lungs.

Disgust is largely in the mind.

You wouldn't see me using toilet roll to open the door. If you were in the bathroom with me I'd just wait for you to open the door for me. So in fact you may have opened the door for me at some time so thanks for that.

Sometimes shaking hands can't be avoided but sometimes a pat on the back will get you out of it otherwise a swift visit to the bathroom has to suffice.

The system isn't 100% fool proof and I'm always working on ways to improve it.

My thoughts exactly, its akin to actually eating someone else's ......This came up the other day as I was travelling with a friend in a car. We both 'puffed' at the same time (silently, of course, therefore not realising the other had done so) and, being men, had to have a good sniff to assess the quality of what we thought was our own. It was only when we both rolled down our windows that we realised what had happened. Disgusting.

Getting old now and it's getting harder to get that leg up but I will never open a door with my hand. I had to wait in a pub toilet for 20 minutes one night for someone to come in and open the door for me.

Now if your boss just happened to see you going in but didn't see you leaving and he went to relieve herself/himself 20 mins later, the wrong impression may be taken. Clearly a case of OCD.

OCD - definitely.

It wouldn't happen in work as I have my own bathroom with sterilising chamber. Only Joking

We all know that very few men wash their hands in the bathroom and I believe women are not much better. So will anyone here admit to not washing their hands when using a bathroom? I posed this question before on this site and despite a lot of people telling me I was odd, OCD and it was only germs - nobody was prepared to answer.

Anyone want to put their unclean hand up?

Thankfully haven't been in that position at the urinal with the friendly old friend, but I do occasionally notice (shock horror) Women leaving public lav's without using the washing facilities, some even stop off at the basin / mirror to reapply make up or sort their hair. You wouldn't necessarily notice one of us strange people opening the door using hand towels or tissue as its a quick and easy manouver!!

I've only not washed my hands when there was no water available but I think it's different for men and women. We don't have to hold our ladybits when having a wee.

As for the people with OCD - could you not get a hand sanitiser to use after opening the door instead of standing there for ages breathing in the wee fumes?