To what lenghts do banks investigate a complaint?

Ireland.1

Last November I happend to accompany my elderly father to his local branch to speak to an adviser about some business he had with the bank. We were brought into an upstairs room and from the offset the advisor had an attitude.

Firstly, neither my father nor myself are confrontational people and kept our mouths closed even though the adviser yawned into our faces and made it clear by her actions from the get go that she had no interest in dealing with us.

Neither of us have ever formally complained about anything but in this instance I encouraged my father to make a complaint.

He received a letter back saying they would be investigating his complaint.

Our question is how can they investigate, when it's our word agaist hers. Obviously they are going to side with her.

My dad is not looking for anything and most certainly doesn't want anyone to be sacked but an apology would not go astray.

Why do you think they will side with her? I imagine it will be discussed with her & she will be given a chance to respond - there may have been other complaints about this individual.

In your case the worst thing that could happen is no apology is forthcoming. If her behaviour was inappropriate it should be challenged, your father may not be the only person on the receiving end of rudeness

Our question is how can they investigate, when it's our word agaist hers.

Exactly how can they... I think you have answered your own question! Even if they did believe you, there is not much action they could take on the basis of a "he said, she said" kind of thing. Even with the best will in the world there is very little they can do.

If however there was a pattern, say 20 customers all with the same type of complaint, then there would be room for them to take action. So there is some home perhaps...

The sad thing about our society is that people can no longer admit they made a mistake and apologize, for fear of being pulled up on some kind of legal case. Better have a disgruntled client than the potential of a law suite on your hands.