To fix or not to fix

walshd

Hi,

irrespective of which bank a person is with etc. Would you recommend fixing your rate for 2,3 or 5 years at this point in time?

Thanks,
David

Gordon Gekko

Frequent Poster
Hi,

irrespective of which bank a person is with etc. Would you recommend fixing your rate for 2,3 or 5 years at this point in time?

Thanks,
David
It’s too open-ended a question.

It depends on the bank and the rate.

Personally, I think rates won’t increase anytime soon and that there should still be some downward pressure in Ireland due to competition and a decrease in the risk to banks.

On that basis, I wouldn’t fix at anything more than around 2.5%.

Laughahalla

Frequent Poster
I've just fixed for three years at 2.25% - I have some financial targets I want to hit over the next couple of years so It makes planning easier for me knowing what my fixed costs are.

moneymakeover

Frequent Poster
Gold futures hit $2000
Up from $1528 at the start of the year
That suggests inflation
And suggests increase in interest rates

Anthonyd

Does anyone have the aib number to ring to avail of the opportunity to revert to a variable rate, the letter says ring number on top of page but no number on the letter. It's my chance to get off a 5.2% fixed rate

RedOnion

Frequent Poster
Does anyone have the aib number to ring to avail of the opportunity to revert to a variable rate, the letter says ring number on top of page but no number on the letter. It's my chance to get off a 5.2% fixed rate
Hi, is this as part of the tracker redress offer? If it is, you'd be best to post a separate topic as it'll get lost here.