Time to repeal the abortion ban in Ireland

Strange way of putting it.

Of course it is, but if an aborted foetus of e.g. 12 weeks is a 'life' or even a 'baby' (as many would argue) I don't see how a miscarriage of 12 weeks should be regarded any differently - but it certainly seems to be.

The funeral was just an example but indicative of the difference in attitude between miscarriages and stillbirths. TBH, whether or not there are much physical remains to be buried shouldn't have anything to do with it IMO.
I may not have explained myself well. The point I was trying to make is that a miscarriage is not a planned event. When it happens, it really doesn't matter to anyone what the response is - whether there is a funeral or not etc. There is no change to the outcome regardless.

An abortion is quite different. It is a planned event, and the outcome is terminal for the baby/foetus involved.

So in that case its ok for women to have abortions, just not in the same country in which they live, work, pay their taxes.
Well if its ok for them to do it - why not let them do it in their own country instead of having the expense and hassle of travel?
It seems to me that employing a moral relativism argument is just a way of pushing the problem elsewhere.

Something is either morally acceptable to you or it isnt. If abortion in the UK or anywhere else is morally acceptable to you then why should it be morally unacceptable to you in Ireland? I dont get it?

It is ok for people to obey the laws of the land that they are in. This is currently a legal issue and the morals are too complicated to ever get to a real answer. If it comes up for a vote again it may well be legalised here, but until that day we should respect the laws.
Your argument is straying between morals and law and there is no place for both as law is black and white. Your argument would suggest that we should have capital punishment here because its in other countries, allow 13 yr olds to marry etc.

Your argument is straying between morals and law and there is no place for both as law is black and white.

Of course there is a place for both. The whole point of this thread is 'should abortion be legalised in Ireland' - the answer to that question depends on the moral attitude of the majority - to suggest there is no place for both is ridiculous and a turn around on your previous comment of:

This thread in my opinion should be about whether you and I as individuals feel that abortion should be legal.

Your argument would suggest that we should have capital punishment here because its in other countries, allow 13 yr olds to marry etc.

No, my argument suggested that if you (or anyone else) as an individual does not have a moral problem with a woman travelling for an abortion then it makes no sense to have a moral problem with her having one in Ireland.

Capital punishment, 13 year old marriages etc... are all different issues. An opinion on whether or not abortion should be legalised in Ireland does not mean that every law in every other country should be implemented in Ireland - to suggest such is a straw man.

No, my argument suggested that if you (or anyone else) as an individual does not have a moral problem with a woman travelling for an abortion then it makes no sense to have a moral problem with her having one in Ireland.
I agree with the point above. Geography and legalities are irrelevant. If something is wrong it's wrong, legal status notwithstanding.

Of course there is a place for both. The whole point of this thread is 'should abortion be legalised in Ireland' - the answer to that question depends on the moral attitude of the majority - to suggest there is no place for both is ridiculous and a turn around on your previous comment of:

As ridiculous as it may seem to you I would still contend that when law is written, the moral aspect steps aside. My belief on whether abortion should be legal stems from when we are dealing with 3 living people (father, mother and child) and not whether or not it is right or wrong to abort.

Again taking into account what other countries do adds little to the argument.

Capital punishment, 13 year old marriages etc... are all different issues. An opinion on whether or not abortion should be legalised in Ireland does not mean that every law in every other country should be implemented in Ireland - to suggest such is a straw man.
This is just where your previous points seemed to be heading.

no, my argument suggested that if you (or anyone else) as an individual does not have a moral problem with a woman travelling for an abortion then it makes no sense to have a moral problem with her having one in ireland.

i agree with the point above. Geography and legalities are irrelevant. If something is wrong it's wrong, legal status notwithstanding.

+1

Back