tile bath panel

sloggi

just wondering if you have any tips for tiling around the bath, as in putting ply around the bath instead of panel panel and tiling onto it! i will be getting a mate to do tiling but i have been told that you need to somehow put in a removal panel for access to plumbing which can be held in place with magnets! Anyone know what this might involve? My mate not too sure about the magnets things...is it hard to do??

You'd want pretty strong magnets to hold any such panel in place. If it were to fall, you'll more than likely end up with some broken tiles. There's some info in the tiling key post here.
Leo

Hello

I did a similar job in January. I bought some ply (probably less than 1 cm thick) in B & Q and cut to the correct size for a normal bath panel.

I had considered putting a door in the panel for maintenance access, but it proved to be too big a job, requiring a change to the frame etc. I had intended to use low profile hinges instead of magnets - good idea though.

When I tiled the panel, it turned out to be very heavy, although it looked great. To gain quick access to the plumbing, I attached picture wire to hooks at the back of the panel, and hid them at each side of the panel. In case of emergency, I just need to pull the wires at each side of the panel and it will come free. I initially thought that using a plunger would do the same job, but was afraid that it would pull some of the tiles off the panel.

SM

Back