Thoughts on the Single Public Service Pension Scheme (SPSPS)

Surely the SPSPS ension cont is listed on the payslip?

Simply annualise that figure?
That would certainly simplify things, but no, the contribution are not listed on the payslip. It's a defined beneft scheme, not a defined contributions one, so the contributions are not shown there (annoyingly).

the contribution are not listed on the payslip
If you are part of the SPSS the “contributions“ are very much on your payslip.

Look for terms like “pension lump sum” and “pension contribution”.

Of course these operate just like a tax and there is no personal or collective fund, but there very much are deductions that impact your net pay.

Aha, yes, there is indeed a "Lump Sum Pension '13" line there! Thank you both, @Dr Strangelove and @Protocol! OK, then the pension contributions do indeed look like they equate to about 2.7-3% of pay, the spreadsheet calculations are roughly correct and putting 32% into the AVC looks like the way to go. Brilliant!

Aha, yes, there is indeed a "Lump Sum Pension '13" line there! Thank you both, @Dr Strangelove and @Protocol! OK, then the pension contributions do indeed look like they equate to about 2.7-3% of pay, the spreadsheet calculations are roughly correct and putting 32% into the AVC looks like the way to go. Brilliant!
The Lump sum pension contribution should be exactly 3% of gross pensionable pay (overtime isn't pensionable for example).

Edit: please delete my post as I now see that someone else already posted a spreadsheet doing exactly the same thing as mine earlier in the thread!

That would really be great.

Hi I am going to get round to doing this - have just had a lot on my plate recently.

I'd like to simplify the overall structure / contents of the main post. Would be structured as follows:

1. Key features of the Single Scheme
2. Key differences between the Single Scheme and older Irish public service pension schemes
3. Expected Benefits on Retirement for Single Scheme Members
4. Should I make additional contributions to my pension on the Single Scheme

This ASTI document from 2018 compares the various PS pension schemes

Attachments

• 2018_ASTI-pension-comparisons.pdf
    37.4 KB · Views: 28
Post 2 - there is a typo.

The standard member contribution rates which apply to most members are 3% of pensionable remuneration and 3.5% of net pensionable remuneration (pensionable remuneration less twice the value (at the time) of the contributory State Pension for a single adult without dependents).

6.5% is the headline superannuation rate.

Post 2 - there is a typo.

The standard member contribution rates which apply to most members are 3% of pensionable remuneration and 3.5% of net pensionable remuneration (pensionable remuneration less twice the value (at the time) of the contributory State Pension for a single adult without dependents).

6.5% is the headline superannuation rate.
Thanks Protocol. That and the related table are now fixed.

Back