Thinking of moving to Portlaoise

N

Nicola 2

Hi seriously considering moving to portlaoise,All feedback so far very positive,Id like to know more about schools and activities for children ages 13yrs to 16mths,anyone doing commute to dublin ur opinion would be a great help as that seems to be the only downfall,It would be a long term move all feedback greatly appreciated

I did the Portlaoise-Dublin commute for over a year and it was hell. I was tired, miserable and cranky all the time (as was my friend who was doing it too). Thankfully, I have now found a job in the midlands and life is much better.

i did the commute for 3 years and found it ok, i was on the train as work in dublin city centre i'm not sure i could've taken much more of the commute as it does grind you down. i thought portlaoise was grand, nice people. the shopping is poor though you do have tullamore/kildare/kilkenny not too far away. don't know too much about the school situation think it's the same everywhere some good some bad.

The primary school situation is bad at the moment as there are not enough places available; I understand that some temporary accommodation (read prefabs) have been put in place to help matters for this year. However this should not be a problem in two years or so (I hope) as there is an exciting schools building programme in place for the towns primary and secondary educational requirements. Shopping is improving all the time and there are still a number of new retail outlets in the pipeline. I wouldn't consider that Portlaoise- Dublin was commutable long term though, unless your job was city centre based and you could use the train service.

Hi Nicola 2,
I was thinking of moving to Portlaoise too but we both work in Dublin,
The property is so much cheaper! Id still love to do it, but the traveling I reckon would kill me, I think if you go for it look for a job there.
Good luck,

Kids activities in Portlaoise, schools fine (there is a big waiting list though so put their names down for all the schools even if you are just thinking). A new pool and leisure centre just about completed, Laois music school, Arts centre which does classes

Sorry small child hit the keyboard. ...Arts centre which does classes and shows for kids. Horse-riding, various rugby, GAA and athletics clubs, drama classes. Plenty of camps etc during the summer, loads of creches and playschools, and toddler groups etc. House prices do seem to be getting lower also in Portlaoise and not much is shifting so you might even be able to give up work altogether if you got a bargain!

Hi thanks to everyone for there comments the job is in tallaght so dont think travel would be an issue????? just have to find sshools for kids secondary and primary any suggestions thanks

It's still a fair old distance, 83km according to the web. You'd probably be looking at 90 minutes - 2 hours each way, especially with the way the M50 is at the moment.

You can get to Tallaght without going near the M50. Turn off at City West or Rathcoole.

Time wise probably six of one half a dozen of the other

sounds crazy tbh and a lot of hassle not having a go but its just so time consuming when would you have time for a life unless you're working off peak hours opr something?

I know a number of people who have relocated to Portlaoise and most of them did the commute for a year or so before finding work locally.
As for schools the Bridgedeen Convent in Mountrath - about 9 miles away - has a good name as a secondary school for girls. There is a daily bus from Portlaoise to the school. For smaller ones there are a large number of creches - most new estates in the town have one. They also do after school care I understand.

Hi thanks to everyone for there comments the job is in tallaght so dont think travel would be an issue????? just have to find sshools for kids secondary and primary any suggestions thanks

Don't base your journey time on a weekend trip from Portlaoise to Dublin. Try it on a (preferably) wet and dark weekday mornig at rush hour and ask yourself could you put up with that? If you could go for it. If not rethink plans - even if it means looking for a job in the midlands

I wouldn't recommend driving from Portlaoise to Tallaght every day.

I do the commute by train each day and that's stressful enough - you could always get the train to heuston and then the luas to tallaght from the front door - you would need plenty of time though.

If you're determined to move to Portlaoise, then get a job locally ASAP.

Thanks for your help kids names are down and hoping to be moved soon, couldnt find anything I didn't like about the area just have to wait until we get there and hopefully get work p/t looking forward to it, whats the social scene like we will be moving knowing nobody so should be interesting!!!!! Kids can't wait.....

Good luck with your move! I was down in Portlaoise a couple of times recently and it has really come on in the last few years. As you'll probably have seen there is a large new Dunnes Stores open and Ken Blacks toys have a superstore nearby (they are affiliated to Smyths and have all the same stuff) so that's your Xmas toys sorted.

whats the social scene like we will be moving knowing nobody so should be interesting!!!!! Kids can't wait.....

The cinema isn't too bad.
The new swimming pool (and very cool looking playground) will be opening shortly.
There's also the "Roll & Bowl" for children and Emo Court is just a short drive away if the children fancy feeding the ducks.
Eating out isn't great in the town, but the Kingfisher (Indian) and Lemon Tree (Irish) are good. Lots of people like the steakhouse but it's overrated and overpriced in my opinion.
The Arts Centre is great. They regularly show films that didn't make it as far as the local cinema (saw the lives of others there recently), plays, art exhibitions, children's events and even ballet.
Kavanagh's pub run a very good comedy club, with high profile names performing around once a month. They also run a music thing called Eist Music which is excellent - but tickets sell fast.

Then, of course, there are the many pubs.