Thinking of doing up the Bathroom

jasconius

Can you paint over tiles ? If so what product do you use. I assume that you can still see the grouting underneath

Option 2 Can you tile over tiles - would it be easier that taking them down and retiling?

Do not paint them chances are you will never be happy with the result! They will never look right you can tile over them but in a lot of cases this can be hassle for little things like needing space behind your tap heads for them to turn without scraping the wall the best thing to do is to take them down and retile a good tiler will have no problem in tiling over the old grout that remains on the wall after removal, when they are down scrape away all loose grout mix some polybond with water and brush onto the wall this will help for the new tiles to adhere to the surface taking them down is easy a small nail bar and a lump hammer will do to get a start once one is off the rest should pop off easy enough.

Good Luck ;)

Due to a lack of funds to retile my bathroom, I painted the tiles with tile paint. I used the one coat paint and it worked out fine. You need to clean the tiles and the grouting and then paint over. It took two coats to cover the old tiles. I also painted the tiles in the kitchen but used a primer first and then covered with tile paint (not the one coat stuff), imo this works out better.

I painted brown tiles white about 4 years ago and they still look great. I used primer, sanded, painted, sanded and painted again. Lot of work but cheaper and earier than retiling. Only thing is to make sure not to scrape paint off when cleaning etc.

I would consider re-tiling unnecessary. I'm currently painting tiles in a small shower which has white tiles. I'm using 2 different colours in Ronseal one coat tile paint and I'm delighted with the results. If I don't like it, I'll just paint the whole thing again in one colour or consider re-tiling. It's perfect for the moment anyway and it costs something in the region of €19 per tin. You wouldn't get many tiles for €19!!

Back