The Rise of the Politics of Fear

N

neo

Did anyone watch this fascinating documentary on BBC2 tonight?

Yes. I watched it and found it very informative. Definitely one of the BBC's better documentaries. It taught me a lot about the rise of neo-conservatism in the US, amongst other things. I'm looking forward to the next in the series.

What I found particularly interesting was the rise of Donald Rumsfeld's career. It seems as far back as 1972 he's been telling lies about WMD. He was part of a movement who spoke openly about Russia having secret weapons capabilities that the CIA could not detect. At the time the CIA rubbished his claims and were proved right. There was absolutely no evidence to backup these fantasies. Seems Rumsfeld never learnt his lesson...

Ties in quite nicely with Michael Moore's theory in Bowling for Columbine.

For the record, if any of you are thinking of Renting the Movie "Elephant", (inspired by the Columbine Shooting)
DON'T DO IT.

Worst film I've seen since Blair Witch 2.

Kind of film that will be making me check future rentals to see if they won a Palm D'Or, so that I can put them back on the shelf.

-Rd

Re: bIASED

The Power of Nightmares would have us believe that the international terrorist threat is a myth concocted by governments and orchestrated by a cabal of devious neoconservatives. Since the public has lost faith in ideology, politicians must now use fear in order to maintain their hold over the masses. Al Qaeda is a figment of our imagination; there are no sleeper cells, and talk of lethal dirty bombs is all so much radioactive hot air.

I only had to read two paragraphs to see that this article is more fantasy than fact, written by someone trying to rubbish the documentary. None of the above was put across to the viewer. Poor reporting. The programme was quite frank about terrorism and looked in some depth at the dawning of Islamic terrorism in Egypt and it's present goals.

Oh dear!

'I only had to read two paragraphs to see that this article is more fantasy than fact,'

A bit like your BBC mockumentary of course

For the record, if any of you are thinking of Renting the Movie "Elephant", (inspired by the Columbine Shooting)
DON'T DO IT.

I thought that film was absolutely brilliant!

Re: .

I thought that film was absolutely brilliant!

Oh well. To each his/her own.

I don't want to go into everything that I thought was wrong with it, here. It would take too long.

-Rd

Elephant

I found it rather boring too.

Just watched 'The Fog of War' recently, an excellent documentary on the politics and history of that old Cold Warrior Robert McNamara. Absolutely fascinating. Rent it.

Elephant

I saw Lost in Translation, which was one of the besr movies I have seen htis year.

Strangely enough it's a love it hate type of movie!

Worst 2 movies of the year:
Panic Room &
Bad Boys 2

Lost in Translation

2 hours of meandering, pointless unfunny bumbling, gurning, and late middle aged angst from Bill Murray.
What a sad comedown for a once great comic.

What does anybody see in it?

Tripe!!

Re: Lost in Translation

Actually Lost in Translation is a superb film. But then you either love it or you hate it. A bit like Ryanair!

Funny?

Why is it funny? What part of it are we supposed to laugh at? Could you describe the funny bit?

Ryanair on the other hand....now thats a HOOT!

Back