The purpose of this forum

Brendan Burgess

Founder
The purpose of this forum is to help people to resolve their complaints directly with the financial services provider and if that is not successful, to help them formulate their complaint to the Financial Services Ombudsman.

It would be very helpful if people who get a ruling, whether it's in their favour or not, post the details here, so that others can learn from them.

It would be very helpful if someone would compile a list of cases which have been appealed to the High Court, either by the provider or by the complainant.

Likewise, if someone with experience of dealing with the Ombudsman could do a Key Post on "How to make a complaint"

Thanks for setting up this forum. I have made a complaint to the FSO which is currently under investigation. It is impossible to know what information the FSO wants or considers relevant. I have sent him detailed letters in relation to the complaint and referenced these to the Consumer protection code etc. The frustrating aspect is that the office acts like a postal service in that it forwards on my letter to the Provider without comment, the office does not seek clarification on matters raised. Naturally, the provider denies everything. This leaves me in a difficult situation then regarding how seriously the office is taking the individual points made. I would expect that in addition to forwarding my letters the FSO would read my submission and where there was an element of doubt in him mind or a further avenue of enquiry required, that he would seek clarification. The process is very frustrating as one never has a sense that ones letters are being read in a meaningful way. Surely the FSO should try to be as investigative as possible, as this office has more experience than the individual who 'has to learn as they go along'. The provider who is dealing with the office daily and know exactly how to deflect the complaint. I realise that the FSO is independent but it should esnure that it uses its powers to elicit the truth and should bear in mind that individuals do not have the same level of experience or expertise as the provider.

Back